JD 450c, having hard time, wont start

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ib4hoyt
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 450c, having hard time, wont start

Post by ib4hoyt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 am

this is my first post here, i have read a lot and now its my turn.
450c, i have been working this tractor all summer clearing brush, trees and rocks, reclaiming a 5 ac field. Yesterday i started getting smoke from under the hood, shut it down and the fuel lines where the tees are, was dripping fuel down over the engine,,,that plus dust sticking to the fuel over time has built up and started to smoke after its hot...So i went to the JD place and picked up new rubber washers..replaced all 12 of those... now it wont start, it sounds like its firing on one cylinder only as it turns over.. i have cranked the crap out of it thinking it would sooner or later,,but nothing yet. I know now i need to crack open the lines at the injectors and bleed them,,that was my brain fart,,,but i keep thinking one one thing i did, i had to unscrew the little valve under that tee to get that big washer down in the cap,, i just loosen it,, took it out and put it back after the rubber washer went on,,, Did i mess something up by removing that? I hope to get it going today after bleeding the lines...but that is in the back of my mind that i might need those adjusted now? i hope im over thinking this and its not that important. Wish me luck,, ill get back later to up date this..thanks for any advice.

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am

The injector return lines were leaking because the return to the tank is plugged up. Clean the return line and it should start.

ib4hoyt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ib4hoyt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 pm

just got home,, bled the lines to injectors until fuel came out, cracked open the last in line return tee, got fuel from every thing,,still wouldn't start. I had a feeling it was something to do with those valves i removed to get the rubber washer on. i took it all back apart and backed off each valve one turn, put it back together and it turned over one time and took off. i have a tec manual but i cant find anything on those! Any one know how they should be adjusted? The return line is open Vester guy,, but i would have checked that too if it hadnt fired,,,thanks

ib4hoyt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ib4hoyt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:26 pm

to update this,, the deere is running great . i have come to the conclusion that the needle valve on the top of the injector is not that critical as long as its not bottomed out,, either that or i just got lucky.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Good friend always tells me it is far better to be lucky than good. :lol:
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com