will a 350B reverser work in a 350 c??

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
motorworx
40C crawler
40C crawler

will a 350B reverser work in a 350 c??

Post by motorworx » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:38 pm

I have a 350 c dozer and the reverser is bad, i bought a 350 B loader, will the reverser and transmission work in my 350 C? im confused on how the clutch packs work, one is wet and other is dry.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking
Mike

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:52 pm

I am going to leave the reverser and transmission question for the guys who know about them, but I will tell you that the wet/dry clutch is referring to the steering clutches.
Up to the B models the left and right side steering clutches and brakes were not in fluid, and will often seize up from rust etc. when not used for some time. The dry cases are also known for condensation collecting inside, and further causing problems with clutch parts and the brake bands. As well, oil from the transmission can leak from shaft seals and cause big problems.
Beginning with the C series, the clutch housings were filled with fluid and I think they last longer as well as avoid the corrosion problems of earlier models. My C's also have auto adjustments for the brakes that are an improvement that, I think started on the C models.

hope that helps
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Jeffs
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jeffs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Motorworx sorry to jump in on your post while waiting for important info. but between your post and scottyb's post, you guy's got me wondering if theres a way to put "C" style wet clutchs in a "B". Wet clutchs are the way to go. As far as your reverser goes i have no idea. I didn't know what a h-l-r was till i read about it on this site. I have reverser problems to, i think. Hope you get your answers. JeffS

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 am

Your reversers will interchange. However you will need to note a couple of differences that are minor in the change. One being the steering clutch pressure feed port that will most likely be plugged with a 1/8th inch pipe plug on the valve body of the "B" reverser. You will also need to increase the engagement pressure once you have re-installed the reverser as the "C" requires a little more pressure to help engage the steering clutches. Or you could simply put your "C" valve body over onto the "B" reverser. What ever is simpler for you to do. But it can be done.
There may be a couple of other small differences that you will have to look for. Just compare the two and switch whatever you need to when you change them out.

Your transmissions however will not interchange as they are in two different cases. The "B", being a dry steering clutch system will not be machined for the hydraulics that travel through the "C" case. If you are only having Shaft and Gear issues with the transmission, then you could change the gears and possibly the shafts and still use the "C" case. I need to add that I have never interchanged transmission parts between the two series of machines, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. However you may want to research this a little further before trying it. There may be some engineering differences between the two series. I have been in each series transmission several times and I think you could interchange the parts.
Hope this helps! If not, then bring it back and see what everyone else thinks. Good Luck!! :D
Last edited by LeonardL on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

motorworx
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by motorworx » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Thank you very much for the info.
Mike

motorworx
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by motorworx » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:09 pm

I have the 2 reversers sitting on the floor, There is a 1/8 pipe plug in the B valve body like you said, in the c valve body the fitting is a 1/4 pipe thread. Can i take vavle body off the B and drill and tap? same goes for another pipe thread up on the reverser housing it self. they both go to the hydralic assist on top of the transmission.
Thanks again
Mike

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Is there anything wrong with the valve body on your "C" reverser? If not, then I would just transfer it over to your other reverser. That way you will have the fitting already in place.
I have never drilled and re-tapped the 1/8" pipe thread on the older valve bodies. So... I'm not sure you can, but it may very well be possible. You can get a fitting that is 1/8" pipe and the size you need for the steering line to hook to. You will have to excuse me sense I don't recall what size the line is. The fitting up on the case you are referring to?... I'm not sure I remember it. I have slept sense I last saw one of these. You will need the line from the valve body to engage your steering clutches. This will be the pressure feed line. The other line is simply a return line and can be plumbed in where ever you can find to plumb it in. It needs a return line for the bypass steering oil to return to the reverser sump. If I recall correctly, the "C" and "D" models return through the cooler return line. There is a "T" fitting that you can use.
I hope this helps! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.