350 clutch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
lurch85
430 crawler
430 crawler

350 clutch

Post by lurch85 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm

I have acquired a John Deere 350 straight with a Gafner log loader on it. Just spent about a month and a half replacing about $200 worth of broken bolts, welding up frame pieces, track rollers, replaced filter and fluid in the direction reverser, had to remove and work on the final drive on the right, replaced fluid in both final drives, and bits and pieces here and there.... Never really drove it due to the tracks being so loose that I had to take care of that first. (didn't really expect to tear into it as much as I did) Now i see that it doesn't seem to want to stop as fast as I would expect when putting in the foot clutch (it has a direction reverser). (I can easily stop it with the brakes or placing the direction reverser in neutral) Makes me think that the main clutch isn't disengaging all the way... I can tighten up the linkage a BIT by replacing pins in the linkage... but there is no adjustment on this style. Any suggestions on anything else to check while I'm at it and before I go driving in the middle of the swamp in the middle of winter???
After it is warmed up, it doesn't seem to be a problem and seems to disengage like I would expect. Can I assume this is somewhat normal? Would any of the "rate of shift" valves being adjusted help?

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:09 am

Don't make any adjustments (yet). If you have a reverser then your machine doesn't have a traditional clutch.

If you haven't already done this, go to the John Deere Bookstore website and purchase/download the operators manual and service manual for your machine. You will need to get a userid before you start the purchase process. Here is the website:

http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/index. ... uModel=350

The more experienced members can help with the diagnosis. I'm a new 350 owner too (350b actually). I can't thank these guys enough for their help.
JD 350B Diesel Crawler/Loader
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Depending on where you live and if the temperatures outside are cold, then you will get a little bit of "Creap" with these reversers. If this changes on warm up and you don't have any issues as it gets even hotter, then I would say you are okay. You really need to run it to see what it does after it gets to operating temperature. As has already been stated, don't make any adjustments just yet. Let us know how it does after you have ran the machine for a while. I don't want to give you more information than you need at this point. Again as before stated, a set of manuals is priceless if you don't already have them. Especially the Tech manual. A good practice to get into is let the machine warm up some before you operate it. Especially when it is cold.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

lurch85
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by lurch85 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 pm

I got to push some snow as a good test to get out to my destinated place in the swamp, and things definately seemed to be good. "Clutch" seemed to be operating properly. What would the proper term be?

And by the way, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so we are getting temps at night of 5-10 below zero and daytime temps of teens or 20s, (although I've kept it in a semi heated garage until i can trust it more, probably sitting high 20s to 30s most of the time....
John Deere 420C, John Deere 350 straight with Gafner loader, John Deere 4020

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:29 am

in the parts book it is still called a clutch pedal ... with a reverser all it does is the same as putting the shifter in neutral
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:10 am

It's a little more complex than just putting the shifter in neutral. Your "Clutch" on a 350 reverser is actually a hydraulic servo connected to linkage and internal parts that are levered inside the reverser valve body. There is an accumulator piston and spring that works hydraulically as the clutch. Your pressure is determined by this piston and spring. Your clutch pedal actually operates a hydraulic valve within this circuit that controls how much pressure is applied from this piston to the system. In this case it is either full on while the clutch is fully out or as you push the clutch pedal down it releases some of the pressure in a gradual release of pressure. The further down you push the pedal the less hydraulic pressure is applied to the system. When fully at the bottom of the pedal travel the accumulated pressure is being redirected via this valve back to the sump and no pressure is being applied to the system. So, essentially your clutch is a variable hydraulic control valve. Make sense? :D

So... you are an "Upper"? I lived in Mason county or as most "Uppers" called us... "A Troll from down under!" I have relatives that still live in the area. I went to a community college there called "West Shore Community College" At that time they had one of the best Technical programs in the country. It's still a good school but they don't have the Heavy Equipment program any longer.

Hope this helps explain things a little and good luck with your 350!
:D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

lurch85
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by lurch85 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Thank you for the explanation!!!!

Just so you know.. the usual spelling for the word that I think you are looking for is "Yooper" :)
John Deere 420C, John Deere 350 straight with Gafner loader, John Deere 4020

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you for the correction! My niece would be proud of you!! I was close though!! :D