JD350B Crawler/Loader Winch w/ Aux. Hydraulics

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD350B Crawler/Loader Winch w/ Aux. Hydraulics

Post by beakes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:35 pm

My 350B doesn't have a PTO but it does have aux hydraulics. Are there winch options available which use the aux hookup? (Is the aux hookup capable of driving a winch?) As some have you said, a winch would come in real handy for all the tree work I have to do. (A log arch would help too.)

Also, the aux send and return connectors were just sitting there under the seat collecting dirt so I connected them together thinking that it wouldn't make a difference unless I moved the aux lever. I went to work with the machine and the lift and curl were REALLY weak. Took me more than a few minutes to try disconnecting the aux send and return and see that it fixed the problem. Why is that?

Thanks.
JD 350B Diesel Crawler/Loader
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Beakes,
The winch that is designed for your 350 is PTO driven and, you would need the shaft installed on your crawler to make it work. You could use any hydraulic winch that could be bolted on with a bit of modification but, I suggest you find the Deere winch and buy the pto parts to make it work. I am amazed how strong my winch is. As much as 15,000 lbs with all the line out and fast too! My 350b was pulling out 100' spruce with all the branches on last winter. I would pull them onto the trail with the winch then haul them out to a landing for processing. Amazing. I did use bolts in the pads for traction. I would release the winch on the up hill pulls, then pull them to the top with the winch and carry on down the trail from there. I thought for sure I had bought too small of a crawler until I got the winch and arch. After that I had no problems.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks Scotty. Where can I find more info about the cost and effort to add a PTO to a 350B? My machine has the reverser and the transmission has 1 thru 4 without a reverse gear. Would it make sense to add the reverse gear at the same time or is that significantly more work and money? (I'm kinda broke from buying the machine.)
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:52 am

putting a PTO in is as easy as removing the round cover at the back of the transmission, and inserting the shaft, and bolting a new cover plate on. If you lift the back of the crawler you do not even have to drain the oil. The control arm will be on the floor between your heels next to the transmission dipstick. It is on every 350 I have seen, even if the shaft is not installed. You need the shaft, the cover plate with the hole for the shaft and optionally, the dust/safety cover that goes over the shaft end, when not in use. I think the 450 shaft fits but I am not sure that they have the same cover plate.

Installing a reverse gear is a really big job, I would assume it requires replacing it,(transmission) or at least opening up the transmission to add parts. I don't think you want to do it. the reverser works nicely on my 350's and I have the reverse gear but never use it.

Scott
backhoe attachment.

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:54 am

My transmission does not have a PTO control lever:( (I checked the manuals to be sure.)

Are there any aux hydraulic-powered winch options for 350s?

Thanks.
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I looked at my 350c today and no lever on it for the PTO. I was wrong about that, My 350b has one, (I put the PTO shaft and winch on it) as does the two straight 350s parts machines in the back. You might still be able to put a shaft into it.
It would be live all the time if the transmission is moving.... I am guessing.

The other more experienced guys will be needed to answer this one.

hope I helped...

Scott
backhoe attachment.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Winch Drives

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:56 pm

The 350 and 450 winch drives are different, both in terms of the shaft and retaining cover.

I scavanged 2 more 350 winch drives over the past year.

If you plan on doing alot of winching the factory winch is the way to go. It is possible that the winch drive internals are a factory option. You can always pull the back cover and check.

If you don't have reverse in your transmission then you won't be able to winch in and back up. The reverser must be in forward with your foot off the clutch. For stationary winching you shift the transmission into neutral.

I haven't done alot of winching with a crawler but a lot with Deere 540 line skidders. We have rippers on the back of the skidders that you put down as an anchor, with doubled up winch line and a snatch block. Have pulled out older D7's stuck in muskeg.

I am going to focus my spare time on attachments for my crawlers instead adding more to the fleet. Most likely a winch for the 440 or 2010. My dad has a few loose winches and parts, just have to put the time in to rebuild them as they have been sitting for a while. Also need to install a PTO assembly on my 2010. I skipped the PTO as it took me 3 years to wrap up my 2010 and the original PTO drive was seized up so I just installed a cover. Going to have to buy a 2010 with a PTO for wrecking. I saved a couple of the factory winch controls many years ago for just this occasion.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors