Fuel Leak Near Filters???

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Fuel Leak Near Filters???

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Hello All!

I've got a little (ok... medium) sized problem that has just gotten a lot bigger! :-o The other day I was doing some maintenance (adjusting clutches and other odds and ends) on my 350 Crawler when I pulled it back into the shop it started leaving a wide trail of fuel on the concrete. By the time I got it parked and raised the front loader high enough to get the safety supports onto the cylinders of the loader I had a puddle of fuel under the dozer that was as big as the dozer was wide and long! (It only took about a minute or two to get to that size too!)

The complete side of the motor and undercarriage was coated with fuel and it appeared to be coming from around the filters...

Has anyone ever seen a major fuel leak like that come from around the filters and be caused by something other than a loose filter??

I was told they were new filters when I bought the crawler about 2 years ago (only used it about 3 or 4 hours since then), but the guy painted over the old filters so I can not see the part numbers... I know they are WIX filters, but haven't been able to clear the paint off yet to see a part number...

I want to dig into this issue soon, but and thinking I mis-well have new filters to replace the filters while doing it just for my own re-assurance that they are new and not just painted over to look nice and pretty...

I've searched the archives for the last few days and can not find anything about the replacement fuel filters for a Straight 350 Crawler with the Diesel and dual spin on fuel filters. I know the ones on there are WIX... Any suggestions as to what the part numbers are for the 350 so I can look into picking some up?

Thanks!!!!

Neil
Last edited by twistedwillys on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Can't help on part numbers, but any parts store carrying Wix should have an application book, that would be my first try unless someone here has the actual number.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Lavoy wrote:Can't help on part numbers, but any parts store carrying Wix should have an application book, that would be my first try unless someone here has the actual number.
Lavoy
Thanks! If no one has the numbers handy, then I'll try some paint thinner if I can't get to someplace that has a catalog for anything other than cars and light trucks.

Neil

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Might be able to find application on line.
Lavoy

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Lavoy wrote:Might be able to find application on line.
Lavoy
I've tried all the online places I've seen references to so far, but all of them seem to neglect to mention anything about the 350's.... Seen a lot of listings for the 450's or the 350C's, but not the straight 350's.... :/

Is the diesel in the 350 the same as any other JD crawlers?

I'll see if I can get out in the shop tonight with some paint thinner... :)

Thanks!

Neil

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Here is Wix's link to their application look-up:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applic ... ?Section=4

You should be aware that the fuel filter part number varies by submodel (straight 350, 350B, 350C, etc.) as well as serial number breaks within a model. I believe that happened in the 350B model when they upgraded the engine size.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:Here is Wix's link to their application look-up:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applic ... ?Section=4

You should be aware that the fuel filter part number varies by submodel (straight 350, 350B, 350C, etc.) as well as serial number breaks within a model. I believe that happened in the 350B model when they upgraded the engine size.
Awesome! Thanks... Their app shows one that doesn't quite look like what I have though...

I'll try to post a pic soon, maybe someone can tell me if it is the same and I'm just looking at it wrong or what...

Thanks for the link though!

Neil[/img]

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:45 pm

are you sure they are spin on??? the Wix 33166 ( kinda looks like a sipn-on) should be what it takes.... what will make them look different is there is a cup on the bottom of them (one could be glass(primary) and the other is aluminum ) that holds them on....the newer 350/450'S use a square glass filter don't look any thing like a spin-on
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 pm

jtrichard wrote:are you sure they are spin on??? the Wix 33166 ( kinda looks like a sipn-on) should be what it takes.... what will make them look different is there is a cup on the bottom of them (one could be glass(primary) and the other is aluminum ) that holds them on....the newer 350/450'S use a square glass filter don't look any thing like a spin-on
I could see them being the 33166 if stuff was added onto the bottom of each...

But how do the bowls attach to the bottom of the filters and how are the filters attached, are they still spin on?

Your description makes a lot of sense and makes me feel like they are whats on there... But... Mine have plastic plugs on the bottom, do they come with the new filters or is that part of the bowl assemblies?

Thanks for the info!!!

Neil

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:02 pm

I think, not sure that the replacement filter from Deere and likely the aftermarket in later years did away with the glass bottoms and went to a one piece filter with a drain in the bottom. I'm doing this from memory, which for me doesn't say much, but I think this is the case.
Lavoy

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Are they a canister filter? Do they look like this?

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 pm

CatD8RII wrote:Are they a canister filter? Do they look like this?

Looks real close except I only see a plastic plug at the bottom of the two filters, no bolt head (#11 in the diagram), just a plug (#3 in the diagram) looks like a 10 point socket. The plugs are identical to the ones on top.

I've got a pic from a few weeks ago, just need to figure out how to get it posted...

Neil

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:22 am

twistedwillys wrote:

Looks real close except I only see a plastic plug at the bottom of the two filters, no bolt head (#11 in the diagram), just a plug (#3 in the diagram) looks like a 10 point socket. The plugs are identical to the ones on top.

I've got a pic from a few weeks ago, just need to figure out how to get it posted...

Neil
Here is a pic I took a little while back that shows the two filters.

http://www.letsgettwisted.com/images/fito/Filters.jpg

Thanks!!!!

Neil

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 am

twistedwillys wrote:
twistedwillys wrote:

Neil
Here is a pic I took a little while back that shows the two filters.
(images deleted)
Thanks!!!!

Neil
Here is some more info I just found!

Fram has a cross-reference app available that lists all the different Dozers, Crawlers, etc..!!! VERY good website for crossing filter part numbers!

http://www.framcatalog.com/Application.aspx?b=F

It shows that Fram has a compatible Filter Available. Frams filter number is available thru Autozone for approximately $7 each...

WIX 33166 ($10 each My cost thru my Company Account)
Fram C1191A ($7 each My cost thru my Company Account)

The only thing I am not sure of is whether the Fram will come with new gaskets... The Wix, looks like it does... Just have to wait and see if the Fram does too seeing how I've already told them to get them on the way.

Anyway, just thought I'd update everyone with the Fram conversion site link... it really impressed me with it's listings.

Thanks!

Neil

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:11 am

the 33166 filters are the ones it takes the 12 point screws are water drain and air bled screws ....the drain screws screw into the bolts that hold the filters on ....i would use the WIX filters FRAM is not the best filter around... wix is a 10 micron filter and fram wont tell you what theirs is
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper