1970 350 john deere crawler loader 4 in one bucket

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
howelong
40C crawler
40C crawler

1970 350 john deere crawler loader 4 in one bucket

Post by howelong » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 pm

I purchased this machine for 1100 dollars complete changed the starter got it to run motor runs strong and excellent... it makes a transmission sound like a splined shaft half way engaged or between gears high pitched noise coming from the bell housing. transmission will not go into fourth gear,, when i put the transmission in gear and pull down the shifter to reverse or up for drive the sound gets higher like its starving for oil. The transmission is full and so is the hydraulic fluid tank and the motor oil is new with a new filter. Without disassembling the machine can anyone tell me what is the problem. The machine doesn't move at all forward or back on the clutch levers... this is the first time on here so I'm not sure how to navigate...
350 john deere 1970

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Welcome Howlong. Between your transmission and engine is the reverser, and on your 350 it has its own oil, filter and dipstick. You will need a service manual soon but, for free, John Deere has the parts diagrams on line.
Your problem could be in the bell housing (cheapest) if perhaps the isolator is the problem, or, the reverser and lastly, the transmission in back under the seat. coupleings join things together and your issue could be there as well. You could take the cover off of the transmission and see what is happening in there if you think that power is getting back to it.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

howelong
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 john deere crawler

Post by howelong » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will get the exploded view diagram from John Deere. I already have the floor plates out and the seat out bought a brand new one. I am sure it is something simple like what you said a coupler's spline striped out or broke. I will pull the transmission cover tomorrow and let you know for your reference. Is there an inspection plate under the bottom of the bellhousing??? There is nothing on top I might have to pull the skid pan. I also pulled all four hydraulic pipes that run across under the seat I am changing them to hydraulic hoses. One is leaking for the raising of the bucket. Thank you again Dale
350 john deere 1970

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I am just a beginner at these crawlers compared to many of the members here so if I can help I will, but I will let the more experienced help if you get to taking the drive line apart. It seems like this might your first crawler. On your 350 their is no clutch on the flywheel. Instead the reverser is disengaged hydraulically when you depress the clutch pedal.
Within the bell housing their is a isolator that is round and attaches to the flywheel. It acts sort of like a shock absorber to the drive shaft going into the reverser.

Pulling on the steering arms acts to release the drive to each track and when left in the forward position the drive on that side should be engaged.
Scott
backhoe attachment.

howelong
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 jd

Post by howelong » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:50 am

Scott thank you for your reply I am an expert mechanic however as an overall person who can fix anything it is the guys who specifically have knowledge with certain items like this JD 350 who i need to converse with including yourself who has past experience with this cridder. I comprehend mechanics real well I just don't do mechanics for a living. I need this machine yesterday so i am trying to find a quick fix. I understand now what is involved with the mechanics of the machine thanks to you so thanks again Scott. I assume that the isolator is damaged and no power is going to the rest of the drive train. I also now understand how the levers for the clutches work they disengage as to stop power to either track which ,make the unit turn very good. I am pulling the transmission cover off to see if power is going to it. From the sounds coming from the drive train I would say yes power is going to the transmission because I can here a sound coming from it as the unit runs. I will get back on here and explain my results thank you have a great day Dale
350 john deere 1970

howelong
40C crawler
40C crawler

jd 350

Post by howelong » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:56 am

Scott I also made sure the oil in the reverser is full I used hydraulic 10 weight oil that is what seemed to be in there. Its full still makes a growling screeching sound when I use the reverse and forward level on the dash board. thanks Dale
350 john deere 1970

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

trans oil

Post by jsal » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:13 pm

John deere uses a special oil in their machines expensive at JD after market called universal tractor oil TSC carries.A 10 W hyd oil is not good for the system.By what your describing their is a coupling between the reverser and transmission that could be slipping which happened to my 359 dozer major disassembly to repair hope your problem lies else wear

JIM.

howelong
40C crawler
40C crawler

jd 350

Post by howelong » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 am

Jim thank you for your reply I am not sure yet if the coupler between the engine and reverser is broken. It seems power is getting to the transmission. Is it possible that the filter for the reverser is bad/clogged and making that screeching low oil pump noise??? Still testing changing all the hydraulic metal lines under the seat over to hydraulic hoses monday then I will pull the transmission cover and see whats going on with the couplers also the transmission goes into all gears except fourth. could that be an indication of whats wrong???? Again thank you for your opinion enjoy the day Dale
350 john deere 1970

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:50 am

When you pull the tranny cover first look at the shifter forks and make sure they show good alignment with the sliding gear slot (worn evenly). Also, using a bent welding rod, hook under the lower shaft in the tranny and see if there is vertical movement. The front bearings on that shaft like to spin out. If it moves, replace the bearing (if not replacing the whole transmission).
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Using the correct fluid in the reverser (303, JD Hygard or Valpar transmission /hydraulic oil) is pretty import an to proper function. I inadvertently used some of the wrong stuff a while back and it manifested itself in jerky clutch engagement that disappeared as soon as I changed to the proper fluid. So far as noise in the reverser goes be aware that the reverse gear is straight cut and makes a pretty distinctive whining noise as compared to the forward gear.

howelong
40C crawler
40C crawler

jd350

Post by howelong » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 am

here's an update. I replaced all the hydraulic lines under the seat which operate the front bucket so it wont leak all over the place while I test the machine to see what is wrong and why it doesn't move. Started the engine put the reverser in forward put the tansmission in first gear and the machine goes forward and when placing the transmission in reverse it goes backward. If you place the reverser in reverse it does nothing. the machine makes a high winding pump sound coming from the bell housing and/or the reverser.
so the machine goes forward and backward using the transmission with the reverser in forward. depressing the cluthes the machine doesn't turn. i think the clutches are wet incorporated behind the transmission. can anyone tell me if the clutches are stuck bad or what am i not doing or doing wrong thank you Dale
350 john deere 1970

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:57 am

Please don't take offense to this, but I would recommend slowing down for a sec and finding out what you have. At this point we don't really know what 350 model you have (straight 350, B, C, etc.) so offering up advice is somewhat fruitless. A first start would be to look at the ID plate and match it up to the serial number ranges in the FAQs section to see what you have.

If you have wet steering clutches, then you likely have a C model or later (although some late Bs had wet steering clutches as well). If a straight or early B then you have mechanical steering clutches. There is a way to tell by looking at the hydraulic plumbing under the seat, but realize that B models could have power assist steering so presence of hydraulic lines does not mean you have wet steering clutches. You can find some archived threads on here that describe the "plumbing" arrangement differences between power assist and true hydraulic clutches.

Hope this helps- it would at least help us help you.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Howelong, are you aware that you can get the operators manual and complete service manual from Deere for not much money and they will send it to you on line? You can get it in just a few hours or less. If you want after you can take the file to a print shop and get the 500 or so pages put onto print and into a binder for not much more.

You will still have questions to ask on this forum.

Like tiger suggested,.... go to frequently asked questions and find the post on serial number look up for 350s. Find the exact model you have and order the manuals. Worth every penny, and I would say 99% of the guys on this forum have the manuals for their equipment.
Scott
backhoe attachment.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:35 pm

If it has a reverse in the trans, likely not a C model at all, and not sure on the B model. I think factory reverser crawlers had reverse gear in the trans eliminated in the B models.
Another quick way to tell is reverser lever on the dash is a straight 350, LH side of the left armrest is B or later.
Lavoy
Last edited by Lavoy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:32 pm

The only readily-apparent difference between my straight 350 and 350B is that the B shuts off by keyswitch and the straight (sold) shut off by pulling back the throttle.
The long handles between your legs are the steering clutches. If, while moving, you pull both and stop then the steering clutches are disengaging. If you pull them back all the way and it tries to stall the engine then either they are stuck or out of adjustment - most likely stuck. Your reverser problem is likely either crud in the valve or a worn-out reverse clutch pack. To get the valve off you either pull the reverser (and engine, etc.) or the left side rail.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way