Backhoe rotary vane actuator

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
GRWeldon
430 crawler
430 crawler

Backhoe rotary vane actuator

Post by GRWeldon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:34 am

One of the problems with my newly-purchased 350B is the backhoe left/right swing. The model 93 backhoe uses a rotary vane actuator. Mine has seen better days. Pushing on the boom with only body force, I can make the boom move in the rotary direction a good foot or so. Imagine what this does when in use. Serious oscillations which I'm sure result in even more heavy wear on the unit.

The technical manual mentions a braking method internal to the actuator itself concerning the covering/uncovering of a hole or holes during movement, but with my cursory review I didn't quite understand how it worked.

I guess I'm really wondering if this problem can be fixed by rebuilding. I didn't seem to find that in the tech manual. I certainly could have overlooked it but I was wondering if somebody here who has seen the insides of this actuator or somebody who has fixed this probem and if they could shed some light on the issue? Any info. would be appreciated.

There seems to be precious little about parts or this backhoe itself on the internet...

Thanks,
Glen
1970 350B loader/crawler #117565 with model 93 backhoe.

MattE
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by MattE » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Unfortunately parts are unavailable. you can recondition the actuator, but in the time and expense necessary you're better off just changing over to swing cylinders. or trying to find a used unit with a better swing barrel. good luck with that though, I've never seen one thats not whipped.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:15 pm

There is an operator/parts manual for the Model 50 backhoe that has an exploded parts diagram as well as some additional info about the concept behind the rotary cylinder- I have the manual for the Model 50 somewhere at home but don't have it handy. I believe (haven't checked in a while) that many of the major parts for it are no longer available.

Jdemaris has worked on these cylinders in the past (as a JD mechanic) and can best answer your questions, but I don't know if he frequents this board anymore you can try to PM here on this board or may be able to find him on the YT tractor board.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment