350C reverser quit working and leaking

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
zorro700
MC crawler
MC crawler

350C reverser quit working and leaking

Post by zorro700 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:21 am

The reverser started acting up lately. When using the reverser sometimes when you pull it back in reverse it acts like its in neutral. Sometimes all it takes it to go forward a bit then back in reverse or if your on a hill and can get it to coast backwards it will start working but its gotten worse and now pretty much has stopped working period in reverse (when using the reverser). It backs up fine if you use the manual reverse. We've only used it a few hours since this started but a couple days ago my father was testing it out and we couldn't see any oil leaking then but as soon as he shut it off it poured about a cup or two of what appears to be hydraulic oil from under the bell housing right about under where the air cleaner is. So about directly in the middle of the machine. It only seems to leak if you run it and shut it off. Not while its running or when its just sitting there but after you run it and shut it off. For about 20 seconds after you shut it off it pours out pretty fast.
Last edited by zorro700 on Tue May 26, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

zorro700
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by zorro700 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 am

I knew mine would be the first one to do this. lol

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Reverser leaking

Post by NWJD fan » Tue May 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Most likely you have a bearing packing up inside the reverser which often manifests itself first by taking out the front seal on the reverser because the input/pump drive develops excessive play. As the situation worsens you get the delayed engagement. This is where my 350 is at now, parked and waiting for the time energy and resources to fix. If you can do the work yourself I don't think it is particularly difficult or expensive to repair ( if caught early and nothing else is damaged inside) but it will take some time and labor as the engine and loader will have to be removed to access the reverser for removal and repair.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Reverser Rebuild

Post by JWB Contracting » Tue May 26, 2015 6:45 pm

The reverser rebuild is fairly basic, just seals and bearings. Difficulty is in setting the bearings as the shims are on the backside of the main shaft and not the front.

Removing and reinstalling can take a couple of days if you don't find thing else that needs attention such as cross members and frame sections.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

cantbeatadeere
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cantbeatadeere » Wed May 27, 2015 5:15 am

I can't think of anything that would leak only after running it, short of the flywheel slinging the oil around inside the bell housing and then after shutdown - allowing it to run out of the weep hole in the base of the housing. pull the reverser base plug and get a fluid sample. if further diag. is needed remove the filter, sop up any remaining oil and put a light in there, you can see very well and can even put a small pry bar in your hand - twist it front and back on the reverse shaft to see if there is a lot of play and inspect all the internals. there is a couple pics of the inside of the reverser I posted if you scroll down on the forum look for isolator conversion c to d.....good luck.