Changing rear sprocket on 450G

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
scatpak60
MC crawler
MC crawler

Changing rear sprocket on 450G

Post by scatpak60 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:44 am

I changed all the lower rollers yesterday and now I am wanting to do the rear sprockets. So far I have all the slack I can get in the chains/rails. Worked the slack to the back. Have the chain supported on the top side with chain just off the teeth of sprocket. I have the machine blocked up. I can get the chain off the sprocket from the 8 to 12 o clock position of the sprocket.
My question is, is this possible to change a sprocket this way without splitting the track/chain ?? I do not have a masterlink in chain so I would have to find the pin to beat it out to split chain. This is what I did not want to do.
Suggestions or any help would be greatly appreciated !!!! Thanks everyone in advance

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:26 pm

I think the only way possible would be setting the new sprocket inside the chain and then bolt the sprocket/chain on together...but don't see how maneuvering/positioning all that weight would be possible.

Then again, I've not seen how worn your chain is!

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Jaw type rails

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:13 pm

You probably have jaw type rails which are much easier to separate and reattach. Look for a solid link.

Never tried to replace sprockets without splitting the rail. Probably can be done, but never felt the need to try.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

scatpak60
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by scatpak60 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:16 am

Success !
I changed the rear sprockets without splitting the chain apart. I know it would have been easier but never did find a split link etc. I did not want to beat a pin out. I looked it over and figured I could get sprocket out with some creative rigging.
First I released all the tension in both tracks. Raised the rear of dozer about 5 inches and set on blocks. Removed one track pad facing directly rear (3 0çlock position) and one track pad at the 12 oçlock position. I did this to aid in attaching come a long and ratchet straps.
Attached 3 more ratchet straps to the chain from the top roller rearward to the sprocket to keep all the slack rearward. Attached a come a long to the 3 o clock position to pull straight rearward.
After doing this the chain was off the sprocket from the 12 to 3-4 o clock position.
Removed the guard that is directly in front of sprocket that is attached to roller frame. This left a small "slot" to maneuver procket in.
Unbolted sprocket, used portable engine hoist with small strap ran through center of sprocket. Used engine hoist as a crane to pick up at a angle and pulled sprocket out.
The first one took a little time to figure just what was needed. I had my wife helping me on that one. The second I did by myself. Couple of hrs. Not as bad as I was expecting. I am a crane operator by trade some my rigging skills came into play LOL.
I would have posted this sooner but my mail had went to my spam box.
Hope this helped someone else who was wondering if it can be done.
Thanks .