350 Pinion Seal Replacement

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
stevenx40
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by stevenx40 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:24 am

I have taken out both of my final drives due to complete oil contamination of fibers & brake. To replace seal do you just press out shaft from final drive housing after removing C clip and on the quill side do you just remove that and replace that seal . I will check out inner bearing on pinion, feeling some movement. Any special tip's would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:15 am

I would recommend replacing your bearings and races while your have it apart this far, some more money and time I know, but you have done all the tough work getting the finals off.
also replace your pressure plates and any clutch linkage you suspect as well.
if you don't want or need to replace the above stuff, you must use new fiber disc, once they get oil in them they are never going to work right again.

stevenx40
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by stevenx40 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:07 am

I will replace all with new, this is a once in a lifetime adventure for me. After a few days of this , I am very tired and sore. How about the actual removal procedure to get at the seal's ! ! Steve

brucek
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by brucek » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:22 pm

I'm curious how you changed the pinion shift seal from the carrier side. I don't know how to access this seal. Does the clutch housing need to be separated from. The ring gear housing?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:40 pm

The seal and bearings this fellow worked on is on the final drive itself. The seal you are referring to is in the ring gear side of the clutch housing. Actually it is the transmission housing that this is mounted to. You have to remove the quill or cover to access the seal for the ring gear or differential seal. There will be a quill with a bearing race and seal on both sides of the ring gear.
You do not have to remove the clutch housing although it does make it easier to work on. I personally do not take the clutch housings off except in situations where I am removing the entire transmission. Hope this helps. :)
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

brucek
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by brucek » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks for the response. Gas tank got in my way today so now I'm ready to dig in deeper. Almost ready to get my order into Lavoy for parts. This site has been helpfull!