Just "Refreshed" my IP pump, now Hard Starting...

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 am

Quickly pull the fuel cap and see if you hear suction. Also drain the tank and look for obstruction, had that happen one time too.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Lavoy wrote:Quickly pull the fuel cap and see if you hear suction. Also drain the tank and look for obstruction, had that happen one time too.
Lavoy
Tried this right before it died for the last time. :( It didn't recover and I didn't hear THAT sucking sound either... just the sucking sound of temporary dozer silence! :cry:

First thing on my list when I get back to it will be to check for fuel at the IP... then trace the lines and make sure I have fuel flowage where needed... :)

Neil

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:31 am

Not to be a smart ass but check your fuel level in the tank if you haven't. You probably already have but just make sure you have fuel. Check the voltage at the Injector pump and make sure you haven't just lost power to the pump. Check the little things first before going in too deep.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:51 am

LeonardL wrote:Not to be a smart ass but check your fuel level in the tank if you haven't. You probably already have but just make sure you have fuel. Check the voltage at the Injector pump and make sure you haven't just lost power to the pump. Check the little things first before going in too deep.
Good suggestions! All my electrical connections are in excellent shape, but that doesn't mean I could have an issue there with a loose connection at the IP shut off solenoid. But would that cause a slow rpm (30 seconds from running to not) fall to 0? Fuel... just put half a tank in it the day before the injector pump died. I think your point of checking the small things first is spot on. I'll recheck the items I ASSUME are good (Fuel level, electrical, etc..) before ripping the fuel system apart again! :)

Thanks for the suggestion(s)!

Neil

egeor
420 crawler
420 crawler

hard starteing

Post by egeor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:23 am

You may have already checked but if not pull the fuel line at the fuel pump.If you don.t have a good flow loosen the tank cap and blow air into the fuel line with a compressor that will unplug the screen at the bottom of tank .that's the quick fix but the tank will have to be cleaned to solve the problem
68 350 loader
79 350c loader
88 case 580k 4x4
89 ford 2120 4x4

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:36 am

More questions for you... things to check.
Did you replace the Housing Pressure regulator Valve (Stanadyne #15830) when did your rebuild? That is the little fitting that screws into the top of the housing that takes housing leakage/drain flow back to the tank.

Did you use the updated damper ring "EIC" (Stanadyne #29111) or just replace the pellathane ring itself?

Have you checked the pump inlet strainer? That is with the fitting that is the inlet of the pump.
450C Track Loader
291457T

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm

DrLoch wrote:More questions for you... things to check.
Did you replace the Housing Pressure regulator Valve (Stanadyne #15830) when did your rebuild? That is the little fitting that screws into the top of the housing that takes housing leakage/drain flow back to the tank.

Did you use the updated damper ring "EIC" (Stanadyne #29111) or just replace the pellathane ring itself?

Have you checked the pump inlet strainer? That is with the fitting that is the inlet of the pump.
Turns out that it was just debris in the fuel tank screen. Blew it out with compressed air and it now flows fuel like a fire hose.... Now its just a matter of how fast it plugs back up. If it happens quickly, I'll pull the tank and clean it out. The good thing is now I know what the problem is...

Is there an easy way to clean out the tank without removing it?

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the advice and information on this one!

Neil

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Should be a fairly large drain plug in the bottom of the tank. Pull the plug, steam or power wash the tank out and let dry.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:52 pm

Lavoy wrote:Should be a fairly large drain plug in the bottom of the tank. Pull the plug, steam or power wash the tank out and let dry.
Lavoy
Sounds easy enough... I'll try that after I get the fuel level down a little more (unless it plugs up frequently).

Thanks!

Neil

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:18 am

It depends on what kind of debris it is. I have done as Lavoy suggested and then also rigged a shop-vac with a small diameter piece of plastic pipe to get down in the tank and vacuum out what was left. It's a slow process and takes a while to do.
However, if it is a rust issue, then the tank will have to be removed and cleaned thoroughly by using an acid wash and then lined with Red-Kote or some other tank liner. I just did a tank for a guy that had been taken over by rust. The rust was flaking off and stopping up everything. His issue was so bad that it had actually completely clogged the fuel line all the way up to the fuel filter.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 am

Hi,

Gah! That is a *lot* of rust!

I have washed plain old dirt out by using a garden sprayer filled with kerosene after removing the drain plug. Works on the older tanks after removing the bowl, too. :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:25 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:Hi,

Gah! That is a *lot* of rust!

I have washed plain old dirt out by using a garden sprayer filled with kerosene after removing the drain plug. Works on the older tanks after removing the bowl, too. :)

Stan
Thanks for all the suggestions! The good thing is, the tank on this dozer is in pretty clean condition and rust free... but you can see stuff floating at the bottom of the tank when you shine a flashlight down in there. Sounds like it should be an easy fix... maybe a little time consuming, but easy non-the-less. (I like these kinds of fixes! :-)

Neil