350 pressure plate fingers

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
stevenx40
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 pressure plate fingers

Post by stevenx40 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:35 am

I have assembled the clutch pack and adjusted the fingers with the correct gauge. Looking at the attached picture there is only about 5/16" height to center of hub before throw out bearing would seam to make contact. Is this correct ! This is my first dozer steering clutch rebuild and does not look right as compared to cars. Any words of confidence would be appreciated. Steve https://www.flickr.com/photos/136413508 ... hotostream https://www.flickr.com/photos/136413508 ... otostream/

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:38 am

If you used the gauge correctly, then they are correct, what they look like visually is not an issue.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:01 pm

There is just something that doesn't look quite right. Are you sure you got the hub and the first disc in the right place. It looks like the hub is sitting too high in the pack. Almost like it is on top of the very first disc. I would double check the arrangement in the pack itself before I would install the final back on the machine. Make sure you put one fiber disc in first and then the hub. Your first disc is held by a snap ring on the bottom of the clutch hub. Then alternate steel discs and fibers until you have the pack complete. You should also make sure you have the right number of discs. 7 steels and 8 fibers. Make sense? Then bolt the pressure plate down and check with your gauge. I'm not saying you're wrong in what you have. I'm just saying your pictures look like something is not right. It could just be the pictures. Just make sure before you go to a lot of trouble.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:42 pm

I agree with Leonard hub looks to high also looks like there is very little or NO release room under the pressure plate cover
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

stevenx40
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 clutch stack

Post by stevenx40 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:53 am

I read somewhere that one fiber and one steel went first then the hub, so it is supposed to be one fiber only then hub and continue the stack. Steve

stevenx40
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by stevenx40 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:14 am

I copied this from one of the members who posted pictures and text of the removal and installation . Reassemble the steering clutch into the brake drum. First place a fiber clutch plate against the interior back wall of the brake drum, then a steel plate. Insert the interior drive hub with retaining clip. The drive hub's retaining clip lies in the same plane as the first steel clutch plate already in place. Insert the remaining fiber & steel plates. NB: If you try to mount all the plates onto the hub on the outside of the retaining clip (as described in some manuals), you will fail and have to dismount and dissasemble the final drive, and likely have to replace at least one fiber plate. I had a John Deere dealer mis-repair a couple of JD350 final drives, so I know it is a mistake one can make installation of finale. Is this wrong ! Steve

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:51 am

No, it is correct.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com