350B injection pump leaking

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
eidolon
420 crawler
420 crawler

350B injection pump leaking

Post by eidolon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:06 pm

I have posted before about problems with my 350 B running rough and smoking. I have changed the fuel filter and drained the tank sump, with no change in behavior. One thing I have noticed is a significant steady drip from the injection pump coming from the fuel metering shaft where it sticks out the outboard side of the main pump housing. This happens whether it is running or not and the whole feeder shaft (from where it connects to the throttle linkage) seems loose and sloppy. Could this be a source of my problem - a worn out pump with leaking seals, perhaps sucking some air into the fuel flow? It is a Roosa-Master JDB 331 AL2405. I still need to pull the injectors to check their health, but I'm thinking I also need to rebuild or buy a rebuilt IP - if nothing else, to stop the leaking. anyone have experience with this unit? How difficult to pull the pump and get it back in right? I live in KY and have found places advertising rebuilt JD Roosa Master IPs for about $800. the engine is the standard 3 cyl 152 that came in most 350s I believe. It otherwise starts and runs good with good oil pressure and decent power, except it bogs down easily in high gear.
JD 350B, IH 500E

eidolon
420 crawler
420 crawler

IP leak Question partly answered

Post by eidolon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Ok, I just noticed someone with a JD 555 has a similar Roosa Master IP leak problem. Leonard responded that seals around the metering shaft can be replaced - but you should have a tech manual. I do (though I haven't found it to be much help). I'm thinking if the shaft is worn, then likely other components in the pump are shot and I might be better off just to pull the whole thing and get a rebuild. I don't feel qualified to tackle a rebuild myself - tech manual or no. gas engine carb? No big deal. diesel IP? Those make me nervous, and I need this machine to work, probably sooner than I can learn diesel mechanics by trial & error. any comments from experienced diesel mechanics welcome as well as suggestions for a pump rebuild source.
JD 350B, IH 500E

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm sorry you have an issue you feel you can't personally take care of. I will be the first to say that it is way better for you to realize that before you try something and maybe make things even worse. I've been a mechanic ever sense I can remember and there are still things that make me uncomfortable because I don't really know what I'm doing. Sometimes it's better to admit it and let the pro's handle it.
These Roosa Master pumps are pretty simple but if you are intimidated by them, then by all means get it rebuilt by a pro diesel shop or exchange it for a rebuilt pump. It is expensive but I think it is money well spent. I do give you credit in knowing that other issues may be at play here. I mentioned that seals can be installed on the throttle shaft and they can be. But you still need a certain amount of ability to do it without screwing something up.
Some machine tech manuals leave the Injector pump out of the information. There are manuals out there that will have the pump rebuild procedure in them. Not sure why they omit the info in some manuals but not all.
As for a place for you to take your pump to get it rebuilt, I wouldn't have a clue given where you live. However if you have a good implement dealer around, they should know where to get pumps rebuilt in your area. It doesn't have to be a John Deere dealer either. They all will use a given rebuilder or maybe a couple of rebuilders. Just ask around and you will find one. I know our local Deere dealer will take your pump and send it in with their pumps just as a customer service. They should at least give you the information where the rebuilder is located.
I hope you get your issue fixed and you get back to running without smoke in your eyes. :)
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Eidolon- as Leonard said you have to do what is comfortable for you. However I do have a couple of points you should consider even if taking to a shop:

1) You are lucky in that you have a DB pump. Parts are still readily available for those; if you had a CB pump (which some 350s have) you would be out of luck on some parts.
2)There is a service manual specific to the John Deere injection pumps- I believe it is SM-2045 and is still available. it goes into great detail about the individual parts and procedures to rebuild.
3) There are a LOT of great posts on this board concerning rebuilds and what to consider including potential shops. You have to search for them but not hard to find- you can search for "injection pump" and find quite a few of them. Jdemaris posted many of the really informative threads but since he rescinded his membership he is a guest so you can't search his username, but they are still there.
4) Those same posts also indicate what to do and not do when pulling an injection pump, and it depends on whether a vertical or horizontal shaft.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment