water in JD 550A trans

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jrloar
MC crawler
MC crawler

water in JD 550A trans

Post by jrloar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:38 pm

I went to replace the trans filter today on a machine I just bought because it was not shifting correctly, and when it warmed up the clutches would slip in second gear and it has NO third gear at all. I found the filter full of sludge and ice. Along with the fact the fluid was grey from water. My questions are, where all do you drain the trans to get all of it out? I pulled the temp sensor out but it seems to me it should have more fluid in it than came out. are the finals tied in to the same oil system? If so I would think I would need to drain them as well as they are the lowest point? Does any one know the quantity I can expect to dump back in it? I know it is listed on several sites as well as my manual but it is impossible to drain everything so I dont know a realistic amount of Hydraulic fluid to buy. Do you think after replacing the fluid and filter third gear may work again? If not what kind of job am I looking at to replace the third gear clutches?

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

550A

Post by pondhogvt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:34 pm

There should be a pipe thread plug on the left side of tranny as you sit in the seat... It will be near the bottom but still in the side just before transmission casting folds around... it will be just behind the front of cover of the first section of tranny... in a little pocket,, use a flash light.. it is tucked inside a little... not the backsection...

they made atleast 2 versions of this tranny and I do not know if they both have the same layout..

One thing to consider,, if it was cold enough to have ice in the filter you probably have ice in the bottom.... so if you could push it in somewhere warm for overnight to drain all the water it would be best...

I started my D8K model one spring still cold out though,,, let it warm up and went to move,, nothing,, turns out in 30 plus gallons of fluid I had about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water... it settled over the winter and froze around the pickup tube to tranny pump.... toasted it... ruined the pump... $4000. dollars in 15 minutes.... that little amount of water would never have bothered in the summer... but it froze and starved the pump of oil and that's that...good luck Mark
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.