450C backhoe fitment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Smokey450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

450C backhoe fitment

Post by Smokey450C » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:10 am

Hello fellas,

It's been some time since I posted here. All's well here.

I have an opportunity to pick up a Case model 33 backhoe pretty reasonably, based on prices I've seen on E-Pay it's a steal. I'm considering installing it on my loader. It has a similar looking mounting system as Deere uses on a 450C (i.e. pins on top and fits into hooks at the bottom. They are all the same size pins etc. (1 1/2"). The problem is the alignment and spacing isn't the same. It would require some major retro-fitting/cutting and refitting to get it to fit. The pins from top to bottom are off by 1 1/2", I would have to move the bottom pins on the backhoe up. The ID to OD of the width is off by 2 1/8", meaning I'd need to widen the back of the backhoe bracket to fit over the loaders mounting bracket.

I read where JWB Contracting had done this on one of his machines and I'm wondering how well it worked out and if it's worth the effort and expense. The 93 hoe looks to be in good shape, no breaks or welds anywhere, and the pins and bushings look tight. The hydraulics are all there and closed up except the supply and return lines are open, and it's an open center system. The cylinders on the outriggers are even still holding them up. All the exposed chrome looks great.

Any help or insight is appreciated - Thanx - Ray
Smokey

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Case backhoe

Post by NWJD fan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:32 pm

I have a Case model 762 backhoe attachment that JWB modified to fit on my JD350 loader and I am quite happy with the fit and function. Max dig depth is only about 8 feet, more would be nicer but it has lots of dig power and is quite a bit lighter than the JD mod 92 hoe it replaced.
The hoe was originally mounted on a Case or later Astec model 760 or larger trenching machine and used a substantially different mounting arrangement from the John Deere system so it was cut off and new mounting fabricated from scratch. I think Case uses Cat style controls which JWB replumbed to match John Deere which is nice if you are used to operating that style of controls. If you are handy and can manage the conversion yourself it is definitely worthwhile in my mind. If you have to pay someone it could get expensive.
I paid $4200.00 dollars Canadian for my hoe fully converted.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Backhoe Conversion

Post by JWB Contracting » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 pm

The small case hoe is one of the best small attachments to put on a 350. Heavy enough that you can push the crawler around for re-positioning but light enough that you don't need to remove it for loader or dozer work.

There's no great secret to converting any kind of hoe. We start with boxed tubbing and cut 4 pieces as the hoe end of the mounting bracket. Much easier to mount with 2 outward pointing edges from the boxed tubing cut on 2 edges. From there we have a holes drilled, bottom pins made and bushings for the top by the local machine shop. We always try to mount the hoe as low as possible without going lower than the crawlers belly pan.

The case hoe is flat on the back so it was simply measuring to fit and get at the welding. Just make sure to tack and measure as you go so the brackets don't twist or get out of line. A person could also build and tack together the receiving bracket in place on the back of the crawler hoe hooks.

We have done many case mid and full sized hoes and a few ditch witches. The one mentioned above was welded by a certified structural welder who works for my dad on and off in his utility construction business. But anyone with reasonable welding skills should not have any problem.

Have a small and large case ready to go and vermeer and ditch witch hoes to convert as needed. Loose hoe attachments are getting more difficult to find.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:32 pm

Jason do you have any pics of what you did to mount the case hoe ..I have that hoe and a 2010 (same mounting as 350) and would love to see what you did to mount the case ....Thanks Richard
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Smokey450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Backhoe fitment

Post by Smokey450C » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with Richard, a couple pics would be helpful. Jason, do you think a 93 hoe is a good match for a 450C loader? I'm pretty confident I can handle the welding with the ol' IdealArc Lincoln. Are you trying to sell off a couple of your retro-fitted hoes? If so PM me.
Thanks again - Ray
Smokey

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Case Backhoe Conversion

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:49 am

This one turned our real nice, we did 2 of them simultaneously. I wasn't there while the conversion occurred, only thing I was not happy about with was the seat mounting.

Jason Benesch

Smokey450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Smokey450C » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Jason, yes, it looks real nice and well done. Thanks to where the fuel tank is makes the seat configuration at best difficult. The 93 Case hoe I'm looking at uses foot pedals to swing the boom so I'll need to have the seat oriented nearly perfect. Thanks for posting the pics! :D
Smokey

speedbear
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by speedbear » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Smokey, I have a JD450 with a 92 hoe attached. At least I think it is a 92. I bought it for a pipe project and now I am going to sell it. I could be persuaded to sell just the hoe. I live near the Pgh airport.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Next Hoe For Conversion

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:48 pm

I got this unsed Cat 420D hoe in a few months ago. Looks to be complete less the bucket. I know for sure that all the cylinders, stabilizers and valve are present, hopefully all the pins made it. We have many backhoe buckets in the collection, so hopefully we have something that will work. If not we will be cutting the ears of a 580 Case bucket and building a new set.

Going to mount it on our 450G dozer and see how it works. Will take a bit more work than the Case conversion and we will be starting out with heavier iron. We have lots of the used red retangular tubing and might just double it up for extra strength. Have had alot of interest in full sized hoes for 450 and 550 crawlers.

Jason Benesch