JD 350 steering lever

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD 350 steering lever

Post by gcgrant » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:52 pm

I was pushing some snow with my 65 straight 350 with a 6 way on it.
I pulled a bunch of right steering lever to dump some snow off the driveway.
There was kind of a bang, the lever went slack and the right clutch engaged.
Oh crap! I limped her back to the parking spot with a lot of toing and froing!
The only effect pulling the lever hard back was to lug the engine. I was thinking maybe some of the linkage under the seat had come apart, which would be a lot better than having to pull the clutch apart! I was right, the push rod that attaches with the ball ends, was hanging loose.
The ball on the lever end has sheared off flush with the lever arm.
Couple of questions, has anyone else had this happen? Is that ball fitting threaded in? What's the easiest way of changing it?
I'm hoping to drill the stub and use an easy-out, but I'm sure the ball is really hard and difficult to drill.
Any suggestions?
George

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:14 pm

George,

To answer your questions... Yes I have seen this happen several times and yes if you're lucky you can change this without having to pull a final drive. Notice I said if you are lucky. The ends are threaded where they attach to the levers. I have used a couple different methods of removing them and it depends on where and how they have sheered off. The metal is hard but no more than grade eight in strength. You can drill them and use an easy out and they are right hand, fine or SAE thread. I used a small 90 degree offset drill to drill these for the easy out. I would also add just a little bit of heat to the piece before I attempted the easy out method. Because, Deere would sometimes add Red Lock Tight to the threads of the piece locking it in place. Apply just enough heat to release the Lock Tight. I have also welded a nut onto the piece and then backed them out that way. I am not sure I understand exactly which end you are referring to but if it is the end that actuates the throwout bearing, then you can remove the lever from the end of the shaft and then remove the broken piece out on the bench where you can get to it. If you are unlucky at these attempts, then you will have to pull the final drive and remove the linkage to get at the broken piece. Good Luck!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by gcgrant » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks for the info. We still have some snow on the ground and freezing temps I'm going to wait for some warmer weather. Hopefully we don't get a big dump of snow that I'm going to want to plow!
I'm optimistic about getting it done from above. I have a right angle drill that should work.
Is that ball part readily available or is it unique to Deere?
Will let you know how it works out
Thanks again... George

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:22 am

gcgrant wrote:Thanks for the info. We still have some snow on the ground and freezing temps I'm going to wait for some warmer weather. Hopefully we don't get a big dump of snow that I'm going to want to plow!
I'm optimistic about getting it done from above. I have a right angle drill that should work.
Is that ball part readily available or is it unique to Deere?
Will let you know how it works out
Thanks again... George
I will try posting again this morning and see how many times I can get it to post this time. :D

The part you need is still available from Deere and will come together with the socket end as well. Or at least that is the way they used to sell them. I am not sure if these parts are uniquely John Deere or not. You may find them at another source. Deere is the only place I ever tried to locate them. IF you run into an issue finding one, let me know as I think I may have a good select used one. You might check here on this site with Lavoy first as he has a lot of parts for these older machines.
I understand the fear of getting more snow. We're getting freezing rain, sleet and snow here in Missouri as I write this. I was doing just fine with the temps in the 50's. I am so ready for spring!! Good Luck!! :)
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.