transmission oil cooling line ports

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
laskin
MC crawler
MC crawler

transmission oil cooling line ports

Post by laskin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Hey all, just putting my 450b back together after a major tear down and I can't remember where my trany cooling lines go. my question is which port coming from the trany is the supply to the cooler and which is the return from the cooler? Thanks for any replies.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: transmission oil cooling line ports

Post by Jim B » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 pm

It appears there were two different routings on 450Bs, based on early (S/N 142199 and before) or late (S/N 142200 and after). These are shown in the Technical Manual (TM1033). If you don't have a copy there is a Free (something unusual) downloadable copy at https://archive.org/details/John_Deere_Company . The parts catalog (PC 1170) shows different tubes related to the serial number break. Checking this info out may give you the info you need based on your serial number. If you don't have a link to the on-line parts catalog site here is one. https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... anguage=19 . HTH

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:19 am

I'm not sure if it would matter which way you install the lines. Doesn't the fluid just flow thru the cooler and return to tranny?
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 am

Sounds like he is not sure of the ports at the transmission. The filter is in the return line from the cooler to transmission, so I think the flow has to be the right way.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 am

Jim B wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 am
Sounds like he is not sure of the ports at the transmission. The filter is in the return line from the cooler to transmission, so I think the flow has to be the right way.
I forgot about the filter.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

laskin
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by laskin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply guys! Yeah Jim b you are right the fluid has to go through the filter housing the right way, I think I got it figured that the forward port is the supply... another thing I was wondering is about how the side frames attach to the clutch housing. When I disassembled mine things where broken and cracked hence the main reason I tore it down. I ended up changing the clutch housing because it was cracked. Anyhow from what I gather the side frames don't suck tight to the clutch housing but rather they are just located by a large spacer in the bottom hole and a smaller spacer on top? Can anyone shed some light on this? I will attach a photo as soon as I figure out how. Thanks

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 pm

I have a 450B trackloader.
There is a spacer that goes between frame and clutch housing- 2 bolts on the side of frame into housing and one bolt from the bottom into the spacer.

If you still have questions on tranny oil lines- I can check mine and let you know. 14400-

Darryl

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 pm

450 tranny hoses

On the right side of tranny:
Front line runs on top- goes to bottom of cooler.
Then, from top of cooler hose runs to outside of filter holder.

Rear line “t’s” off case (back of t takes the steering cylinders return) and runs on bottom- runs to “t” for steering pump and on to center of filter holder.

Hope that helps

laskin
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by laskin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:45 am

Labparamour wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 pm
450 tranny hoses

On the right side of tranny:
Front line runs on top- goes to bottom of cooler.
Then, from top of cooler hose runs to outside of filter holder.

Rear line “t’s” off case (back of t takes the steering cylinders return) and runs on bottom- runs to “t” for steering pump and on to center of filter holder.

Hope that helps

Thank You for your reply Labparamour it was very helpful. This is how I put the lines back together but its nice for the reassurance that its right. My machine does not have the Tee on the rear port. The steering cylinders have their own return line back to the power steering reservoir.

As far as the spacers go, I was wondering why there is such a large hole for the bottom bolt in the side frame that goes through the spacer and into the clutch housing? Its a 3/4" bolt that goes through almost a 2'' hole in the side frame. Its hard to tell what the washer looks like from the parts book so I ended up ordering one just to see what it is, should be here Friday. I'm guessing it allows for some movement when you drive over a rock or something? Thanks.

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:44 am

Glad you got it back together.
My steering pump uses fluid from the tranny and not a separate reservoir.

I’m still piecing mine back together after rebuilding water pump and some hydraulic lines.

As far as frame: mine is a track loader and bolts don’t attach to the outside loader frame, just the inner frame the hardnose mounts to.
Thus, a large hole that the entire bolt head passes through...also allowing for socket to fit through.
Hope that helps.