HELP with ID and advice - 450 Crawler Loader?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: HELP with ID and advice - 450 Crawler Loader?

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 pm

B Town wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:39 am
Welcome to the JD crawler site.

I don't believe there is another SN # location on your machine. Some of the later series machines had the SN # stamped in the metal under the aluminum SN tag. These #'s can be hard to see b/c they get filled in with paint. It may be worth scratching where the tag was originally placed. You may be able to do some investigating in the parts book and look for SN# break and look for unique parts numbers on your crawler. You may be able to at least narrow it down.

Online parts info at
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

Labor has a site dedicated pic server. You can read about it in the FAQ section. To gain access you must email Lavoy. There is a history of hacking the site and then the whole "photobucket " loss issue.

It sounds lovely like a great machine, well equipped. Probably a 450 Straight. Dry steering clutches, best to be stored under a roof with the steer levers pulled back.
Best regards, Bruce
So I contacted Lavoy and he set me up an account but he didn't explain where to go or how to use it to attach pics. I looked in the FAQ section but didn't find a single thing that helps me get pics on here. How do I post pics, where do I go? How do I do it, why is this so stinking difficult? ugh. Thanks Bruce!

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 am
I think you may have gotten an extra 1 in the part number. It should be AT18026 by the parts catalog. They don't use most of the suffix letters any more. The Roosamaster numbers for that number don't match but they do match the substitute pump AR70144. Those pumps were on 450s up to serial number 35199 which fell in the 1966 production year. So your machine may be a 1965-1966 if the pump is original, and it may be. I suppose the AT118026 could have been stamped on a replacement pump to ID it, but the DGBFC431-25AJ is correct for the replacement pump for that serial number range. No guarantee, but might be right.
Thanks for the info Jim! I'm a whole lot closer to figuring it all out than I was a week ago for sure. I verified that Ll the numbers I posted were indeed correct, Once I get the picture posting abilies all sorted out I can post a pic of the pump. There is no way it is the original Injector pump... looks like it's only a few years old at worst.

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:05 pm

So, I don't trust a word that comes out of the mouth of someone selling me something and therefore feel I need to go through the machine stem to stern starting with obvious head (and back and butt and arm) hurters and eye sores. She sounds like she runs solid and feels like everything works properly so far so although it may sound silly to y'all, the first thing I did was invest in new seat bottom, back, and arm rests, went to take the old stuff off and realized some preservation (rust removal) needed to happen so I media blasted, primed and painted the box covers, seat bottom & back bracket as well as a few other things and should be able to install that tomorrow. I also cleaned the air filter and pre-filter bowl and painted all those metal surfaces as well (JD green to keep me on point with my maintenance, when everything is yellow, I feel I would forget some things). I also have to test out the winch as well as put the bucket on it, it had forks on it when I bought it. Before I put her to work, I'll be running through the full tune up procedure in the book... I haven't read through the whole procedure yet but getting the correct fluids, filters and any other parts I'll need on order should help to speed things up. What are y'all's recommendation for fluids, is there anything special like a certain type of oil and filter I should (or shouldn't) run in these older diesel engines? Best fuel filters to run? Transmission fluid/oil? Final drive oil? How about lessons learned or things you feel need to be changed/cleaned/swaped/etc. when buying a relatively unknown piece of equipment like this? I use paragon 3000 grease on all my other tractors, dozer and implements so I'm gonna get her all lubed up in the morning AND it looks like there's no rain for at least a week or so, thank goodness so I plan on spending a lot of time on her over the next few weeks, getting her in tip top shape so any input and or advice would help. Thanks!

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 am

Look at the very bottom in the "Message board Q&A and announcement " section. My bad by referring to the FAQ section. Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:23 am

The Roosamaster numbers, which ID the pump in their system, match the second pump used on those crawlers as I posted. The A118026T number comes up as part number not found in the on line JD parts catalog. AT18026 and AR70144 come up as No Longer Available, so those numbers were in the system at one time. Someone may have exchanged the pump for one that is correct (Roosamaster numbers) and stamped it wrong as far as the JD part number, a T could easily be seen as a 1 in a damaged or poor stamping - just a guess.

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:29 am

http://jdcrawlers.lcent.com:8000/johnde ... 3&normal=1

Trying out the pic loading, not sure this is going to work but the instructions are long and incomplete on how to load so trying to figure it out. My apologies.
Last edited by cordlesscarpenter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 am

looks like you were able to get loaded up.

yes is a bit convoluted on the instructions, but i had to show exactly what i did that did not work and asked for feedback, since has been a while that i have added pics, i will have to try to upload again and maybe can simplify instructions. was hoping to get a locked post that stayed on top or upfront so everyone could see. as you can see it eventually moves to the bottom of Q&A page.

would like to see your hyper link code without the http://.......
if you can edit that post and show me below your written text. that way i can read your hyperlink of the pic

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am

dtoots1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 am
looks like you were able to get loaded up.

yes is a bit convoluted on the instructions, but i had to show exactly what i did that did not work and asked for feedback, since has been a while that i have added pics, i will have to try to upload again and maybe can simplify instructions. was hoping to get a locked post that stayed on top or upfront so everyone could see. as you can see it eventually moves to the bottom of Q&A page.

would like to see your hyper link code without the http://.......
if you can edit that post and show me below your written text. that way i can read your hyperlink of the pic
First off, thanks for doing what you do for the site, it's more than most from what I can see. The pic site isn't perfect but it's something, which is better than nothing. When I removed the http:// it appears to have dropped the hyper link. Not sure if I did what you were asking but followed your request verbatim. What did I do incorrectly? Thanks

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:54 am

what i had intended for you to do was simply add that text below your other text statement and you can put your http:// back in where you removed it and you will get your pic back...

now i gotta go back and see just how my instructions show to see what the difference may be. now that i copied your pic file...looks like you actually accessed the entire list of your pics, not just the one.

jdcrawlers.lcent.com:8000/johndeere/displayimage.php?pid=333&normal=1

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 pm

dtoots1,

If you right click on his link you should get a drop down. Select "copy link". you can then paste the link on a word document and see the complete link.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:12 pm

JimB,
yeah, thanks for that...been a while since i into all that..as you can see pasted it here and edited hyper off.
from this hyper looks like can pull a set of 8 pics to view. and i think the hyper box above provides the pic in the post without the link, i have not checked that yet, been awhile!!!

//jdcrawlers.lcent.com:8000/johndeere/displayimage.php?pid=333&normal=1

cordlesscarpenter
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by cordlesscarpenter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:50 am

The advice on the steering clutch is perfect and a lot of people will be using those technics to troubleshoot! I will as well once I get mine painted and fluids/filters changed out. Thanks!