450b clutch trans steering

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Ewcmr2
MC crawler
MC crawler

450b clutch trans steering

Post by Ewcmr2 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:49 pm

So over the winter I bought a 450b with known no left steering. I got it delivered and promptly parked it in the equipment shed. Six months of other projects and dozer is still parked...

Now I’m getting to where dozer is nearing top of project list. It starts easily and runs well. Reverser seems to be functional, high, low, neutral, reverse all correspond to proper motion. 6-way blade/hydraulics work as they should (control lever has major play but that’s simple enough to re-bush)

Problem areas: pulling left lever does zero, nada, zip - I presume left steering clutches are rusted together.
Shifting with engine running leads to grinding. Pilot/throw out bearing hanging up?
Depressing clutch pedal stops forward motion, so it would seem to be functioning normally?

Shifting with engine off is stiff but I can get lever into all 4 gear spaces.
In first gear, when I let out clutch it stalls engine, same with 2nd. Third works, even pushed some dirt around today to see what I was working with. Didn’t try 4th. Is this a transmission that a loose/misadjusted linkage can get two gears at once, locking it up?

Could I get lucky and adjustments could solve the problem areas? Am I in for major disassembly? Central WV mobile equipment mechanic recommendations?

Dkc923
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 450b clutch trans steering

Post by Dkc923 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:23 pm

Adjustments unfortunately not gonna solve that steering issue. I just finished changing steering clutches and brake bands on my 450c a few days ago. Definitely a job breaking the tracks and removing everything off the top but once you get in there there is nothing to it just some heavy lifting. Does sound like you could help out some of your other issues with adjustments though. Adjusting clutches and getting all pressures right is a job in itself but critical on these machines.
1974 JD 450C. Old iron is my passion!
12 IH tractors and counting

Ewcmr2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Ewcmr2 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:16 am

I finished replacing roof on equipment shed so that procrastination excuse is gone.
I’ll still probably wait until after the summer, racing’s season, is over. Are parts generally on the shelf at suppliers or is the supply chain problems making you wait on parts?

Dkc923
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Dkc923 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:20 pm

Personally I've had pretty good luck getting parts. Haven't bought anything from Deere though. Several good options for aftermarket that will save you $$$. What do you race if you don't mine me asking?
1974 JD 450C. Old iron is my passion!
12 IH tractors and counting

Ewcmr2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Ewcmr2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:21 am

Van Diemen formula ford. It’s a little open wheel British car.