Considering buying a 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
donmc
MC crawler
MC crawler

Considering buying a 450

Post by donmc » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:19 pm

Hello from the state of Alaska,

There is a 450 going up for auction this weekend locally. I looked at it a month back. There was a reserve on it at the time and it didn't meet reserve. It's being re auctioned again with no reserve. I'm guessing this is a 1965 to 1970 version? I didn't take any pictures of it last time I looked. I think the hours are 5,900 if I remember correctly. The auctioneer says it's runs find and goes forward and backwards but does not turn.

Interestingly I watched the video on youtube of the guy who purchased and put steering clutches in a 450. That video showed up randomly in my feed months back.

I have zero experience working on heavy equipment. I have a lifetime of experience working on all manner of light vehicles, small engines, etc. I was previously in the auto wrecking business. Working on it doesn't scare me. I do not have any heavy equipment and would have to fix it outside with hand tools. Fortunately it's currently summer here near the arctic circle.

My question is this: Is this worth buying at any price or should I pass on it? You folks seem like the best people to ask! I would also have to pay it have it transported roughly 70 miles so there's that cost as well. I only have 1 picture of it right now. I'm headed to town tomorrow and will stop by to look at it more closely.

I own lots of property and until now I've had to do everything with a Stihl chainsaw and a shovel. Some earth moving equipment would be an excellent addition to the homestead.

Thanks for your feedback!

https://imgur.com/a/rcMyBPu

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Considering buying a 450

Post by LeonardL » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 am

My opinion??? Well I wouldn't waist my money on a machine that is most likely going to need a lot of work. Auctions are also very fickle and you can either get it cheap or you may have to pay through the nose to own it. Then there is the work involved with repairing heavy equipment. Work that if you don't have a good place to do it can be a daunting task. Especially if you don't have any experience. Then there is the cost of parts that can add up very quickly on this old iron.

I don't know much about your location other than it is a brutal environment for long periods of time. Personally I would take the money it will take to buy and fix this machine and look for a machine that is in ready to work condition. It will cost you more to begin with but will pay off in work performed. You will be working on your property instead of working on an old machine.

As for whether or not you can do the work? If you have any mechanical ability at all you can work on heavy equipment. It's not rocket science. It isn't all that different than anything else. It's just larger, heavier, takes bigger heavier tools and the components are not as easy to handle.

So personally I would pass on this old machine in favor of a machine you can go to work with.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

boaterri
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by boaterri » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:44 pm

The 450C is a very good machine but I would pass on that one. Keep looking, they are out there but good ones are tough to find. If any two of the big three (engine, transmission, track system) are good and the machine is not otherwise beat, it is a candidate.

donmc
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by donmc » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:42 pm

It sold today for $5,500. It probably needed 2 sprockets. It didn't turn but not sure if it needed clutch kits or not. I think it would have been an interesting and fun project but ultimately I passed on it. Thanks for everyone's feedback!