under carriage work on 455E planning stage

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:06 am

I have sold several sets of 350 chain, and it has been good quality, as well as the rollers and pads.
Lavoy

jdcook
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdcook » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 pm

Well I finally got a hold of a roller wear chart for a 455 E. A Medtrack guy was nice enough to fax it for me. I measured my rollers according to a link that tiger haze sent. I measured from the top of the pad up to the center of the roller pin and then I subtracted the height of the rail and then multiplied times 2. http://www.tractorparts.com/undercarriage.htm This I imagine is not as accurate as other methods but much easier to do with the guard in the way. This resulted in 7 inches which is 30% wear. This hopefully gives me some room for error in my measurement. My chain is worn past 100% and the bosses are worn down into the pins. I am going to hope that the wear into the bosses is from the loss of height in the chain and from snaking due to the fact that the chain is an old worn out dry chain. Now if I just replace the chain should I save some money (I think around 500-600) and use a dry chain since the other components may shorten the life of the chain anyway or should I put lubed chains on it. I am going to use the same pads since they are built up to the same height as new pads and I will likely replace the sprockets. However, This site says it is not necessary http://www.tractorparts.com/undercarriage.htm Now if the new dry chains are worn by the older rollers and idler wheels and don’t even live to be turned I don’t think I would be out much because turning I think is around $1000 and I saved $500-600 getting the dry chain. I could just replace it with another dry chain unless the rest of the undercarriage is worn out and then maybe I should replace everything and go lubed. Also it is a farm crawler not a work crawler.

More Advice please

Thanks Dave