Fuel Leak Near Filters???

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:33 am

jtrichard wrote:the 33166 filters are the ones it takes the 12 point screws are water drain and air bled screws ....the drain screws screw into the bolts that hold the filters on ....i would use the WIX filters FRAM is not the best filter around... wix is a 10 micron filter and fram wont tell you what theirs is
No doubt in my book that WIX has a better product line, it just wasn't available at any of my available locations... BUT, just for future reference,
the 33166 does cross to be a Fram C1191A and that after doing some searching I was able to find a micron rating for it of:

"80% efficient @ 2 microns, and 97% effective @ 5 microns"

I also found a tech memo from Fram as to why they no longer use the often used but non-standard Micron rating, but in stead use a Multi-pass rating system, seems to make more sense... multiple passes = a better repeatable average vs. the micron test not being a repeatable reading etc... etc... I'm not trying to recommend one or the other, just passing along the info that I have found. Cost comparison in my case was a no brainer. Both filters (C1191a) for the cost of one of the WIX 33166.

Enjoy!

Neil

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:35 pm

FYI, I am not trying to start a filter brand war but do have some additional information about Fram. I recently had an engine shop work on a block for me and we got to discussing oil filters. The owner indicated that he used to be a Fram supporter but that they were sold several years back and that their quality went downhill shortly thereafter. In particular he mentioned that he had several different customers come in with blown engines that used Fram filters which blew out during use and caused the engine oil to rapidly leak out during operation.

I'm not sure how that would happen myself, but the engine shop is well established and reputable so I took interest in that comment. I since noticed as others indicated that they don't provide the same level of spec information as they used to.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 pm

25 years ago or so when I was in the auto parts world, we had cut open several different brand filters and made up a filter display to show our customers. Far and away by a large margin the poorest quality filter we sold was the Fram. We still sold a ton of them to customers that just had to have them, but when you showed the customer a cut away Fram that had a piece of string holding it together and paper end plates, lots opted for a different brand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:20 pm

there are a few good videos on youtube that show a guy cutting open various filters
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper