New to me 450 loader ?'s

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Mike, Deere provides free parts look up on line. Enter 450 in the search location in the middle of the attached page then select crawler tractor (as deere used 450 for other equipment as well.) and use the look up functions.

You do not need to sign up to use this function however, if you do it is free, and Deere will remember your selections.

https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... meUnsigned

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Deleted post: This turned out to be a duplicate of Scotty's post which I missed seeing.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Stan Disbrow wrote: Well, it is better. Now more junk can fall on it without wrecking things like will happen on my 420.
Stan
I can attest to that. I was cleaning up some of my property and one of the previous people at some point had tobacco drying shed there. They had run 3/8" piping through some concrete for the burner. I never saw it but when I was backing up the piping with a large piece of concrete on the end got hooked into one of the holes on the track and it got flipped up onto the nose and hood ... :shock: scared the crap out of me I'm thankful it landed on the nose/hood rather than in the seat with me. That would have left a mark...
450C Track Loader
291457T

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:06 am

Went to loader yesterday. Everything went well. Replaced 2 of hoses for Lift arms. Need to do the other 2 still, they leak badly. Sight glass on hydraulic tank is clouded up so started adding hydraulic oil till everything started working smoothly. Ended up putting in almost 5 gallons. Got the bucket up and put in safety supports for the lift rams. Drove it back and forth about 75 feet and turned it back and forth. Right steering works good, left clutches are stuck but brake works.
Put up my angle iron on arms to attach come along to and pulled hard nose.Was real easy to do. Then pulled radiator and water pump. Radiator was in good shape but oil cooler on right side was really plugged up with dirt and junk. What does that cool? Hydraulic oil for lift rams, bucket rams etc or transmission.
Now the questions begin. When pulling water pump I had to loosen 2 hard lines that run down in front of one of the water pump bolts. They come from a reservoir up high behind radiator. Both were dry, thats why it didnt register at the moment but later on as I was driving home I got to thinking if that was power steering reservoir.
When I first looked at tractor I looked at serial # and looked it up while I was there on my phone and determined I was a 66 straight. Yesterday I wrote serial # down to make sure I had everything right so I could get some manuals coming. T5E3M0-----T. The first of the six digit serial # that I wrote down was a 0 and that is not right so now I have to check it again when I go back. Was power steering an option on the straight models and is there another easy way to see if it has power steering?

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:29 am

Could someone tell me the sequence for pressing the water pump apart and reassembly process. I had hoped to have my manual before I did this but I have to verify serial# before ordering manuals and I want to get this fixed and put back together so I can bring tractor home.

I did find reference to sequence. Pull pulley off or some say press pulley off. There is not much room to get plates for press under much of pulley to use in a press. I can put some heat to pulley hub when pressing, but am concerned about bending pulley when pressing shaft out.
Last edited by Mike B on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi,

Your serial number comes out as:

T- Tractor
5- JD 450
E- Crawler Loader
3- Diesel
M- HLR
0- a leading 0 is 1965-69
Need more digits to narrow the year down further.
T-Dubuque

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

2manytrucks
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 2manytrucks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:15 pm

when you get your new pump rebuild kit from deere, it will have a detailed instruction sheet with it.

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Stan,
Thanks for the clarification, following #'s after 0 are 37---. so it is a 66 like I originally thought.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Mike, if it has Power steering then it will have the power assist boost cylinders under the seat. When you pull a steering lever, the boost cylinders will make it easier.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Scottyb,
The cylinders will be noticeable from under the seat? Are they on top of housing or on sides? I would Imagine that there would be a hydraulic line that runs to them. Hard or flex line if so? Reservoir was dry so may have to look for leaks there also after I fill it.
Thanks

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Brought loader home on friday. Was using around the house mostly the hoe to dig some stuff and just figure out which things to fix first.
Transmission pump leaks draining oil down into bell housing. Turns out it leaks a lot, trans started to get low on oil and did not want to move so I shut if off and added couple gallons to get it back full. When I restarted it I have no movement , forward or reverse, high or low. It acts like the pump is not primed. I pulled out small pipe plug to check pressure at pressure port and have almost no flow. Drained trans and checked filter screen and it was clean.
Previous owner had same thing happen though he just parked it and let it sit for 5 years before selling it. When I went and looked at it I got it started and I was able to get it to move just fine. He said after it happened to him he tried it off and on during that summer and it never worked thats why he parked it.
Any thoughts or suggestions as to why it started to work and why it won't now. I have run it a bit during the process of getting it ready to bring it home and did not have any problems then other than the oil leakage.
I was doing more research and looked up the filter assembly in the parts page and realized there was no spring in there to hold pressure and seal the filter basket to the housing. That means unstrained oil was able to be pulled thru up into the pump and thru the system. Not good