JD450 engine model number

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mariner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:49 pm

Hi All,

I am finally getting around to do work on my '68 JD450 engine. The engine is leaking antifreeze into the crancase (liner seals, head gasket?). I have tried to order some parts but the person I spoke to at "partsfinder.ca" didn't recognise the enginge type information (which came off the engine data plate). So, here goes:

Dozer type: T5E3M Serial number: 0709551
Engine type: M5BTA Serial number: 107976T

It is a four cylinder , naturally aphixiated, diesel.

If anyone can identify the engine model number I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:13 pm

Your engine serial number may have an other didget in it .Go to your deere industrial and agricultrial dealers as well for a price They will have the updated version of the piston top . Tell them up front you want the BEST PRICE and are shopping around .These people know your motor and if they know there stuff they wont send you away without a price and the avalability of the right parts needed to fix your Deere. I shop around for parts But sleeve and piston sets are always Deere parts in my machines The seal rings alone are third rate in the will fit kits.Also when you are done you can wave the recipt at the next owner and say I USED THE BEST .Talk to The dealer they will even let you talk to there man on the motors for his ideas and if you need first time advice ask They dont charge me extra for advice .And I some times need all the help I can get.Digitup.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:23 pm

P.S.Your motor is a J D 4-202cid rated at 57 HP and there are several up date kits listed too 1970 Ag used this same motor and horse power at that time.Digitup.

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mariner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi digitup,

Thanks for your replies - exactly what I needed. I had seen the 4-202 notation in the manual but for some reason or other, thought that another number was needed. With that information I am sure the local JD dealer will know what is needed (Brandt Tractors in this part of BC). And, I will see what they can offer for a best price too.

Do you normally do an inframe or a complete removal of the engine, when doing liners pistons etc.? Reason I ask is I wonder of an inframe job would be good enough. I get about 50 psi oil pressure when cold, which drops to about 35 when warm at about medium revs. If I replaced mains and bottom ends without renewing balance shaft bushings, would that matter too much? I do know that the oil pressure can be adjusted with shims, but would appreciate your comments (and anyone elses for that matter).

Thanks again for the comments.

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:44 pm

Out of frame only if you are doing full berring roll and sounds like you are at that point .Digitup.

JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JAG » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:04 pm

Mariner, I agree with Digitup. You most likely have pin holes in the liners, caused by galvanic action. BE SURE to use the correct additive to the coolant after the rebuild.
JAG

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mariner » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:55 pm

Hi all,

Got the engine out today and took the head off. Checked liners and pistons - everything is well worn and needs replacing. In fact I was surprised that the engine ran at all when I saw the clearance between the piston and cylinder walls at the bottom of the stroke - must be approaching 1/16" or 0.065" and I could see the rings quite clearly. At the top of the stroke there is very little clearance between piston and cylinder liner. Also a marked ridge at the firing space. Also I noticed a speckling type appearance on the bottom of two of the liner walls - I think this is where the water must be seeping in.

Anyways, at least a week of cleaning and machining etc. Then the fun will start. Hi-ho, hi-ho and off to work we go!

Thanks everyone, for your comments - they were very much appreciated.

Mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Mariner I delt with the guys at Brant several years ago for parts I did a gulf corse out there and tried to buy a new 550 G series VI from them I got one from my dealer in Kitchener Ontario about 8 grand cheeper delivered to BC when I got out there the sales man for Brant had saw it and the day I started he was in to see me He said he didnt think I was serious They didnt even think of saying no to me after that ! Better service than I get in Ontario Also your motor sounds well broke in and ready for berrings check your balancer shaft for play when working in the engine .Oil presure suffers greatly if those berrings are wore out . Check valve seats and guids in the head also. Digitup.

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mariner » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:57 am

Digitup,

Thanks for the heads up. I just got a quote back from Brant and their price is only about $100 more than the other "will fit" parts places. That is for everyting except pistons which are about $35 each. All bearings, gaskets, liners sleeves etc. in that price and I know the parts will all fit properly. I am getting the head done along with resurfacing the flywheel at a local machine shop. The crankshaft I hope, will be ok but won't know for a couple of days yet. Have just started the cleaning and have quite a bit ahead of me for the coming week.

Thanks for your comments - they are much appreciated.

Mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada