Mouse Turds, Dead IP or ??

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Mouse Turds, Dead IP or ??

Post by twistedwillys » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Hello all!

I recently ran into an issue with my 350 Crawler/Loader. It started doing the run fine for a few seconds/minutes then slowly idles down and then dies.

As the subject indicated, I found 6 or so pieces of the governor ring when I removed the timing window on my JDB331 injection pump. Which indicates to me that a rebuild is in store anyway. BUT, my question to the awesome brain trust here is... Since I only found 6 very small pieces of the ring, do you think there are other items that I need to investigate while I have the injection pump off rebuilding it?

Here is what I have done so far....

Removed return line (top of the injection pump) allowed it to vent to atmosphere (and all over the track, engine block and grass below :-0)
The Fuel return check valve on top of the IP seemed to have little movement, I cleaned it and I can hear the glass bead move around like it should... Still no difference in the running after I cleaned.

With the engine off, I removed the fuel return line from IP to Tank and no fuel drained out of the tank (is there a check valve in this line keeping fuel from draining the tank)?

Next I started the engine and it had plenty of fuel shooting out of the IP from the IP to tank port. Still no difference in the running characteristics.

I then removed the fuel cap to check for a vacuum. No change in running characteristics.

I check the Tank to Lift pump for fuel supply... It had a steady stream, not over powering by any means, but fill up my jar at a rate of about 6 oz in 30 seconds... Knowing how small the opening is thru the shut off valve, I can see this as being sufficient flow.

SO with all that in mind and the fact that there was only 6 small pieces from the governor ring that I found in the timing window, what is the general consensus as to any other possible issues that might be at play here (other than rebuilding the IP itself which I am getting ready to source the parts for as we speak. (Do you carry these re-seal kit's Lavoy? )

Does it sound like I should pull the tank too? As I inspected the inside of the tank, it looked clean and was without debris in the bottom. I've heard stories of mesh screens getting plugged in the tank, but I can not find them. My shut off valve appears to be on a non-removable pipe extension with no other fittings that could include a mesh screen... is the mesh screen on the fuel return or supply or both?

Thanks for any assistance the Brain Trust can give! :)

Neil

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:50 am

Still sounds like the governor ring in the injector pump.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:20 am

Not parts I have sorry, I can get pumps rebuilt, but maybe no cheaper than you can locally.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:23 am

I would focus on the return line from the IP to the tank- it sounds like there is a restriction between the two. This may very well be blockage in the pump but sounds like the focus of your issues.

Here is a useful thread- go about halfway done the first page:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... pellethane
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:08 am

If you found anything other than clean fuel at your timing window, then your governor ring is toast. If your tank is clean and the flow of fuel is good then I wouldn't bother with it. You should make sure the return is free of a blockage and that your fuel is flowing freely through the system. However... your pump is done dude! Sorry...
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:24 am

LeonardL wrote:If you found anything other than clean fuel at your timing window, then your governor ring is toast. If your tank is clean and the flow of fuel is good then I wouldn't bother with it. You should make sure the return is free of a blockage and that your fuel is flowing freely through the system. However... your pump is done dude! Sorry...
Yeah.... I had that sinking realization when I saw the turds. :( The writing is on the wall for this pump! :-0 Just wondering if it's worth even trying to track it the 500 yards thru the woods to the shop (at least it's only 500 yards or so :-) or tear into it in the sticks!)

This brings up another question... Will the mouse turds travel outside of the injection pump (Say to the tank and possibly clog stuff there) or will they just bounce around internally and stay in the pump clogging it up and not become the source for other clogs that I may have in the fuel system?

Thanks to all of the Brain Trust who have contributed to this thread! :)

Neil

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Most generally everything will stay inside the pump. Even if it did travel to the tank it would then be picked up by the filter should it get back into the fuel feed line. Most of the older crawlers have a screen on the outlet fitting inside the tank. So your little pieces will most likely settle to the bottom of the tank and stay there.
If it will run at all, I would limp it back to the shop. Although you can pull the pump right where it is at if she won't run.
Good luck!!!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 pm

LeonardL wrote:Most generally everything will stay inside the pump. Even if it did travel to the tank it would then be picked up by the filter should it get back into the fuel feed line. Most of the older crawlers have a screen on the outlet fitting inside the tank. So your little pieces will most likely settle to the bottom of the tank and stay there.
If it will run at all, I would limp it back to the shop. Although you can pull the pump right where it is at if she won't run.
Good luck!!!
Seems to run fine right after it's sat for a long period of time. (Like over night). Once it's run about 5 minutes or so the run time changes to about 30 or 40 seconds before it starts to choke out and die. It stays at the 30 or 40 second run time for subsequent starts until it's sat for a longer period of time.

I know the turds indicate a failing pump, but I think I may be suffering from a clog someplace... (At least at this point in time).

After I get back fr vacation I'll dig into the lines, them try tracking it to the shop.

Thanks again for your input!

Neil