JD 350 Straight - Not Running

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Neub
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350 Straight - Not Running

Post by Neub » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 pm

I have a JD 350 straight crawler loader (well actually my dads). It hasn't run in probably 7 or 8 years and I want to try and get her going again. The last time it ran it was used to clear a small landslide and left a trail of oil back to where it parked and has sat since. I'm a younger guy (23) but I have some experience working on machines, but nothing quite like this. Good news is I work for a large excavating company so I have some help whether it be parts or some expertise from our mechanics. The machine has a winch and logging arch, however I don't know how functional. Would love to get it running to try and get some stuff done on our property or at least get some money out of it as I understand the arch/winch combo is desirable. So starting from square one, what should be my plan of attack? Any direction would be appreciated

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:23 am

Identify the oil (engine/hydraulic/gear) first, then the source of the leak.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi,

He is in the Pittsburgh area. It might be natural! You have to add 'crude' to that list! :P

I was up in the area where Pithole creek enters the Allegheny river just this past weekend. Lots of spots where one can find crude oil seeping out of the ground. ;)

Seriously, though, first thing is to figure which part is doing the leaking for sure.

Is it a gas or diesel? Straights came both ways.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

MarkW
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by MarkW » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:06 pm

If it is a diesel I would suggest before starting it to remove the 3 screws holding the top on the injection pump and inspect it for cleanliness. If all clean inside then run new fuel through the lines and you should be good. If it is a gas then no need to be as meticulous, gas engines can handle dirty fuel issues without the economic repercussion that can happen with diesels.

Anyway, as mentioned get it fired up and look for the leaks. Is the engine low on oil now? If low that can point to the engine leaking VS the transmission/hydraulic system but you can't really be certain until you actually see the leak.

Something that might be of help is to make a mark on the side of the dozer and a matching mark on the ground next to it, then when you start and back it up and out you can look at the ground and often see where a chronic leak was dripping. see the relationship between the mark on the ground then work out where it is in relation to the mark on the machine.