What dozer do I have

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Tom58
MC crawler
MC crawler

What dozer do I have

Post by Tom58 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:00 am

Can anyone help me identify what year my jd 350 dozer is. There is no tag ID I purchased a manual on jd 350 crawlers and dozers, my brake adj differs from the book, I have a 2" threaded plug above brake adj. the adj is about 2" in diameter and you can reach in the hole with a screwdriver and adjust brakes, it has a reverser, I believe axle clutches are hyd. It has a 3 cyl diesel. I have to order parts, I've searched Internet and it appears I need model numbers, thanks for any help. Tom

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Tom-

You are probably not going to be able to identify the year of your dozer if the serial number data plate is gone, but you may be able to narrow it down by looking at part numbers in the parts manual that had running serial number breaks. With crawlers they year is not as important as the model and those serial number breaks anyhow.

I don't have a 350 so not sure about the brake adjusters but if your steering clutches are hydraulic ("wet") then you have a 350C or newer (D) model; if the steering clutches are purely mechanical ("dry") then you have a straight 350 or 350B. Don't get confused with hydraulic lines going to the steering clutches because power steering was an option on the earlier 350s with mechanical steering clutches. This thread discusses some of those differences:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=2410

The best place to start narrowing it down is the online parts manuals from Deere- find parts that have serial number breaks (I believe on the 350s the steering clutch housings are one part that changed between models) and compare parts numbers to see what you have. The engine size also changes between early and late 350s. That online parts search engine is here:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt

Remember that Deere's 350 parts manuals are for the bare crawler- the dozer blade has a separate model number and won't be shown.

This post may be helpful as well:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... 350+manual
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:43 am

Hi,

Here is a link to a list of manuals, by model:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... hp?t=10109

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

What model 350

Post by NWJD fan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:20 am

When you lift the seat up and look at the top of the transmission what do you see? If it looks like 2 short hydraulic cylinders you likely have a 350B or even a late model 350 straight with boosted steering and dry clutches. If it looks like a small hydraulic manifold then you most likely have a 350C with wet hydraulic actuated steering clutches. If the reverser control is on the dash it is most likely a straight 350. If it is on the battery box it is a B or C model.

HV Contracting
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: What dozer do I have

Post by HV Contracting » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:39 pm

THANK YOU for this post! I just figured out I have a B model since my reverser is on the left hand of the seat and NOT on the dash!!!

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Dude if you have as you have described then you have a 350C or a 350D. The basic difference between a C and a D is engine size and the D series had a decelerator on the throttle. They also had a different ROPS and Exhaust system along with some other basic differences but were essentially the same machine. Given what you described as having the two inch bung plug in the steering clutch cover is all I need to know. They do indeed have hydraulic or wet steering clutches and brakes.

When these machines were manufactured most of them were diesel driven. The 350C had a 3167 engine and the 350D had a 3179 engine. Some 350C's had gas engines in them as well. Over the years a lot of these machines have had engines swapped and it is not a given that they will still have the original motor in them. You should also look for an engine identification number on the right hand side of the engine block. If it is still there then it will be an aluminum tag with the engine type number and engine serial number.

You can also look on the very back top of the transmission case to see if the serial number has been stamped into it. Most did but some didn't. It would be good to look however. They didn't stamp them very deep so you will have to look pretty close to see the numbers. Some machines had the serial numbers stamped into the metal directly behind where the serial number tag would be mounted on the front of the battery box. You may get lucky and find a number there as well.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:03 am

B model did have reverser lever on the LH side of the seat, but that is not the only indicator of series.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com