JD 350 Crawler Engine Question(s)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Catenary Kid
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 350 Crawler Engine Question(s)

Post by Catenary Kid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Hey Gang, I'm new here but I think I might just become bosom buddies with a couple of you....

I recently took ownership of a 1968 JD 350 (Gas) Crawler Loader with a Drott 4 way and a backhoe, from a friend who shed it during a divorce. This is clearly a tired machine and I am a tired old man. But indomitable, somewhat.

Anyhow, I ran this to move some 20 - 24" old maple and hickory logs and noticed the oil pressure was waaaayyyy high while working. When I shut it down, the oil was pretty dark and overfull; it also seemed pretty thin. Could I be getting gas in the oil?

Separate question: While the machine is cold the throttle lever takes 4 men with comealongs and winches to move the throttle lever, but that loosens up a bit once the machine warms up thoroughly.

I have the repair guides and owners manuals (they came with it) and have spent a few hours in the bathroom with them, but I know nothing about heavy equipment so I could use some idea as to where to start.

Thanks.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Welcome to the madness! :D If you have high oil level and it is thin and smells like gas, then you are getting gas in the oil. It will be getting there through the fuel pump. So... replace the fuel pump.

Another issue with the gas burners is the oil pressure sending units and the gauges themselves are notorious for not being very accurate. They will read high most of the time. I suggest you change to a better fluid style gauge.

The throttle issue is most likely the cable that runs from the lever mechanism down to the governor linkage. Probably moisture that freezes when cold and then after it warms up it thaws out and works. Sometimes you can remove the cable and heat it up to get rid of the water and then soak it in oil to get it back functioning properly. Otherwise you will need to replace the cable. Another issue with 350's and older 450's is the throttle lever and mechanism itself. There are pivot points that seize and don't let the throttle work properly. You will need to visually inspect it and see if everything is working freely. There is a small round disc that is a pivot point and they are bad to seize and cause binding in the throttle. This again is mostly a gas burner problem. The diesel's use a little bit different mechanism and aren't quite as bad to give issues.

I am curious what part of Michigan you are from. I lived up in Mason county for a couple of years and have relation that is still living there.
I hope this helps a bit. If not then let us know and we will go from there. Again... Welcome to the forum! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Catenary Kid
40C crawler
40C crawler

Many thanks

Post by Catenary Kid » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 am

Hey Leonard! Thanks for the help - I'll get on that as soon as the new shelter is up and the firewoods' all stacked nice and dry inside. Is that fuel pump something I should be able to get at a regular auto parts store or do I have to go online or to JD direct?

BTW: I live in a microscopic little town called Concord, south and west of Jackson about 12 miles. I knew some people up Mason way and had a few accounts there when I was still in business. If you ever need anything this way - let me know. Where are you living now?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 am

I would go to a Deere dealer if you can for your pump. It depends on which one you have. Some of the older models had a glass sediment bowl and strainer on top of the pump and you could buy a kit to rebuild them. Most however have a replacement pump that has no strainer or sediment bowl. Those are available at most parts stores but you really need to have Deere cross the numbers for you. If you're going to do that then you may as well get it from them. The cost will be pretty close to the same.
You might be able to go to NAPA or one of the larger chain parts stores and get it referenced by application. In other words just tell them you need a fuel pump for a John Deere 350 gas crawler. This same pump is used on most Deere applications from the 60's through the late 80's. Maybe even beyond that. It's a pretty common pump and shouldn't be all that hard to find.

I live in Missouri where I grew up in the Eastern Ozarks. I lived in Scottville Michigan back in the early 70's and went to school at West Shore Community College. I also worked on a dairy farm while I was there. Great place if you love lots of snow. We get plenty here in Missouri but nothing like we got up there. Mostly lake effect snow and it was ass deep on a tall mule.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.