450c steering problems

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
altonlee
40C crawler
40C crawler

450c steering problems

Post by altonlee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:45 am

Hi

Have a 450c that I am trying to get going. It has sit for 3 or 4 years, Changed all the fluid in the transmission and the drives. The crawler steers good for an hour or so then when I pull on the left track it stops and the right will stop also, I can then pull back on both levers and it will go again. Sometimes I can gently pull on the left lever and sometime it will turn slowly.

I turned the engine off and took the seat up and watched the levers when I pull on the right I can hear fluid moving and it has a little pressure, when I pull on the left it has no resistance and no fluid sound.

Now the big question does these brakes use brake fluid or what and where to I check it?

There is a plug hole right between the two lines where the levers go in. Also in the floor between my feet there is a plug looks like a small 55gallon drum plug. Any one know what this is to, it looks like a place to add fluid.

Thanks

Alton

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Prior to doing anything more, you need a factory service manual, and I would recommend a parts manual as well. I am not well versed enough on the C's to tell you a whole lot other than there is no brake fluid anywhere in the crawler.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:59 pm

Alton, you will need the service manual as Lavoy suggested. Get one from John Deere on line (that is what I recommend)or find one on e-bay or somewhere like that.
Compared to many on this site I am not an expert however, I am a few years ahead of where you are now so I will try to help today.
When you pull back on a steering lever it releases the clutch for the track on that side, then, as you pull the lever further back it applies the brake to the same track. Assuming the clutch is engaging on the opposite track, when you pull a lever back on one side the other track should continue to turn and this will then turn the crawler. When you pull one lever and then the crawler stops completely it means that the other track has a problem with it's clutch.
Adjustments for steering clutch and brakes are detailed in the service manual and getting them properly adjusted is the first step you need to do to get your machine running properly.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

450C Steering Clutch

Post by JWB Contracting » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:10 pm

When you pull back on the clutch lever it interrupts the flow of oil to the clutch and allows it to slip.

If one clutch is not driving then normally it is the o-ring in the clutch assembly or the line going to the clutch.

The Deere Service manual is your best bet to diagnose the issue.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors