JD350 diesel pump priming

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DNT1
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD350 diesel pump priming

Post by DNT1 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:20 pm

Hello guys I have a JD350 3cyl diesel engine here that has ran out of fuel (fuel starvation due to stopped up filters) . It quit while it was idling and was not worked on for several weeks. Replaced the filters/transfer pump/cleaned all lines plus cleaned the inlet screen on the Roosa Master injection pump. Now I seem to get good pressure right at the inlet of the injection pump by hand pumping the transfer pump but can get no fuel at any of the injector lines and of course it will not start. Is there some trick to getting the pump primed? I pulled the top section off to check the speed control lever arm and the springs etc. all appear to in working order plus this area was full of diesel fuel. I assume that something has stuck on the inside of the pump I am holding off pulling the pump and hoping someone might know a trick to get it going without going to that extreme. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. :lol:
Just about anything is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:55 pm

Those old rosa master units dont pass air worth a darn you have to fill them with fuel or they wont work Make shure that it is sealed up [no leeks]internal or exturnal close all lines off tight then open lines at an easy to reach injietor and pump manualy till fuel exits line Than 3/4 throttle with wrench on line and crank engine till it starts Tighten line as engine starts I find that you need lots of patience for this job Also if the fuel pump is on top of the lobe it will not manual pump fuel requireing even more patience The stroke will feel longer on manual pump as you come off the cam lobe I have an old 350C with that system and have lerned this trick the hard way.good luck .Digitup.

DNT1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DNT1 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:36 pm

hey thanks digitup. If I understand correctly, you are saying that the transfer pump should push fuel all the way thru the injection pump and up to the end of the lines at the injectors themselves? I thought we had manually pumped it a bunch but maybe just not enough will give that a try. Will let you guys know how it comes out should have time this coming weekend to mess with it.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:41 am

Remember I said make shure you have full stroke on the fuel pump.If the cam lobe is siting high on the pump arm you will not get any stroke when you are on the manual side of the pump So if you are not geting fuel. Turn engine over slightly.Then try the pump again If this dosent work suspect the fuel pump .Digitup.

DNT1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DNT1 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:08 pm

Well it looks bad for the injection pump now. We rigged a pressurized diesel fuel reservoir at 80 psi direct to the injection pump inlet was getting fuel out of all the bleed screws plus at the return line, pump was full of fuel with no air. It would not put any fuel to the injectors at all I quess something has laid down inside the injection pump itself. When I pulled the timing cover and gasket I found some dirt several small hard pieces almost like coal dust so there is dirt inside the pump from some unknown source. We set the time and pulled the injector pump and I have found a guy nearby that is a retired John Deere mechanic. He does injector pump rebuilds at his home, comes highly recommended and was reasonably priced ($385.00) so looks like he has one coming to him to work on LOL Thanks for your help digi.