JD 450G - Starting Issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bkhulett
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 450G - Starting Issue

Post by bkhulett » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:32 pm

I have a John Deere 450G crawler. It has recently developed an issue. It will start fine and only run for about 5-10 seconds and shut off. It will then not crank until I turn the starter for 2-3 minutes. Once it cranks, everything runs fine until I shut it off. It will immediately fire and run fine if I recrank it within a few minutes. If I let it sit for a few hours though, it repeats this. Cranks immediately and only runs for 5-10 seconds.

I've checked the diesel in the fuel filter and there are no air bubbles. I have primed it before starting to make sure this is not the issue. Is the fuel pump or electic fuel shutoff solenoid going out?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Hopefully you only have trapped air in the fuel feed line or a bad fuel transfer pump. It may even be a flow problem from the tank to the transfer pump. Like having something in the bottom of the tank stopping the fuel flow.
However, it sounds like the fuel is draining off. I would check your engine oil to make sure it isn't getting fuel in it from either the transfer pump or the front seals on the injector pump. The fact that it runs after you do get it started tells me the vent in the tank must be okay as well as the fuel return line. I would check them anyway just to be sure.
The way you describe this, it sounds like it has developed fairly recently? I have to think it is your fuel leaving the system after it sets for a while. Look for a leak externally first and then check your engine oil. If it is leaving or draining without a visible loss of fuel on the outside of the engine, then it has to be going internal to the crankcase.
It could also be an electrical issue with the wire leading to the injector pump. Make sure that wire is okay and that you are getting continuous 12 volts to the pump when the key is in the on position. Hope this helps. :)
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Les
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Les » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 am

BK,

I had the same problem with my 450B - exactly. Mine turned out to be "user error," I believe. What I had done was when I replaced the fuel filters I placed two of the large round gaskets inside the top rim of the filters (it was the only place I thought they could go unless they included two extra gaskets in the filter kit). The gaskets, however, blocked the free flow of fuel and when I removed them and reassembled the filters, everything worked great. In fact I had better RPMs and power. Don't have a clue why they gave me three large round gaskets for each filter. One goes on the bottom between the sediment bowl and the filter and the other one goes between the top rim of the filter and the filter head unit. Anyway, this worked for me. Hope this helps.
--Les :)
Les
1971 450B Crawler Dozer

johnwesley
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by johnwesley » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:47 am

Les, FYI, on some filter housings you use 3 gaskets. Some housings have the bottom bowl, either glass or metal, then the filter. On others there is a clear glass ring between the filter and bottom, thus the need for 3 gaskets
johnwesley
JWO