Stuck Winch Cable 350b/arch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Stuck Winch Cable 350b/arch

Post by Scottyb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:41 pm

I did not notice the .5 inch cable had a birds nest when I tightened up on a pull with about 30' of the 100' of line out. Pulled a few logs and went to let out more line so to get safely out of reach of a big tree in case it came down on me, only to discover, how tight the over lap had become. I reset on a big stump and it will not pull out the overlap. I took a bit of a run on it in 2nd and no success. Stopped there as I do not want to break anything. Any suggestions ?
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

350 winch

Post by pondhogvt » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Scotty, sorry to say but you will most likely have to cut the cable with torch or cable cutter.

that's one reason I only use about 75ft,, because they get tangled and get them out,, and it pisses me off to cut a good cable.. but that's life..

good luck Mark.
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Cold chisel, mason's pointed chisel, large screwdriver and a sledge make a good tool arsenal, a helper and some on again, off again, tension might get something wiggling. I've used my peavey to poke and pry as well. Some times I got lucky. Try hooking your cable up high in a stout tree and then try to pull it out. The different angle may get the strands to pass. Good luck. Paul
Last edited by Paul Buhler on Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:06 pm

Mark, I think you are right. I will try to cut it with a small wheel on my angle grinder. Then bring the cable into the city and have the rigging guys press the logging hardware back on.
Perhaps I can get them to make me a few more Chokers with the short piece.
I seem to loose one or two of them every winter and, I could use one about 10 feet long for some of the larger logs.
on a related topic, I am hoping to drive out West before Christmas and pick up a winch for my 450c Dozer. It will be nice to have the dozer grousers once the snow gets a little deeper. In the meantime, we have had an exceptionally nice winter so far with just enough frost to work in the forest and freeze the small ponds. I did break through the ice on a creek today however I was able to get out on my own but it filled the undercarriage full of mud that will be frozen by now. Just another play day on the crawlers.

Scott
backhoe attachment.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Paul, I will try to get it loose with the tools you suggested. If I take the cable out of the arch I might get to pull some other angles on the drum to help. Back in the city now (2 hours south of my equipment at the cabin) So on the next trip up it will be... get it loose or cut it out. I am going to make a trip West before I go back North so it will be a week or two before I can update on this .
Almost Christmas and I am a retailer so I will have to spend some time in there as well !

Scott
backhoe attachment.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Scott: Good luck and Happy Holidays. I hope your efforts prove fruitful and you don't have to cut your cable. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

350 cable

Post by pondhogvt » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:17 pm

Wow you must have some big trees Scotty!! I have some JD winches for sale. 2 for a 450 and 4 for 350 if things don't work out...

One reason I cut the cable is it usually leaves a big kink in the cable and always frays at that spot... One thing you never want to experience is being in a hurry and grab a choker and run with it only to drive a steel fray right into your hand about an inch....

that brings you to a halt in a hurry!! of course you are in the woods so you have to pull it back out yourself..OUCH.. the quicker the better pain wise..

best of luck Scotty... Mark... sure sounds like nice country up there!
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:39 pm

One thing you never want to experience is being in a hurry and grab a choker and run with it only to drive a steel fray right into your hand about an inch.... that brings you to a halt in a hurry!! of course you are in the woods so you have to pull it back out yourself.. OUCH.. the quicker the better pain wise..
Been there, done that. Not fun.

I run shorter cables as well. I don't like lugging the extra weight around when pulling cable to gather a hitch, and if you've got 100 feet on the winch, it's tempting to use more of it. Then there's the other issue of getting a straight enough pull with a lot of cable out so that you don't haul right into a rock, hollow or stump, and the stories can go on about all the mistakes I've made bunching and skidding logs.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:43 pm

if it is ok, then I will post a little video. Even after you get it all cleaned up trees keep falling down.

That big stump was in the way of the trail and future bridge repairs so it had to go. threw a track trying to get it out of there with the 350b. The 450 loader got it out of there and it ended up on my burn pile.

backhoe attachment.

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Stuck Winch Cable 350b/arch

Post by Willie B » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:20 pm

[quote="Scottyb"]I did not notice the .5 inch cable had a birds nest when I tightened up on a pull with about 30' of the 100' of line out. Pulled a few logs and went to let out more line so to get safely out of reach of a big tree in case it came down on me, only to discover, how tight the over lap had become. I reset on a big stump and it will not pull out the overlap. I took a bit of a run on it in 2nd and no success. Stopped there as I do not want to break anything. Any suggestions ?
Scott[/quote]

I'm not a JD winch person yet. I have two winches on a 1956 Power wagon. My sons and I are obsessively careful with winch cable. I'd compare those winches to a bait casting reel. The brake serves only to prevent backlash on those winches. Keeping it at exactly the right tension to allow freewheeling without backlash is a balance Nick Walenda would understand.

Twice now wanna be operators have gotten to it. I've since put a key switch in, and a battery disconnect. My procedure is to attach the cable to a stump with a nylon sling to absorb some shock. Pull downhill, and gently bump the cable repeatedly. Stop frequently to check progress. Mine seems to gain inches at a tug, but not always. You may or may not free it this way. If you do, wind it in under quite a bit of tension, as in pulling a log up a hill. Then you need to evaluate. If too kinked, or at all frayed, replace. It's not worth dying over!
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:00 am

Image I tried to get this loose. Pry bars, punch and hammer, nothing was helping much so I just cut it out. I will be replacing the whole cable however, some sections will make good chokers.

Working without a canopy I like a lot of cable between me and these big leaners when I pull them over. This one leans over the convergence of 4 trails and a bridge. I want to pull it back over to the left before it falls and blocks all four trails and makes a big mess of the small spruce that have come up.

Image [URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/ascot ... x.jpg.html]Image[/URL

Has anyone tried using a synthetic cable/strap on one of these winches?

Scott
backhoe attachment.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:05 am

I have a AMBlue steel synthetic rope on my truck. It i very susceptible to abrasion. It doesn't like dirt and must be washed if dirty. Great for rescue/recovery , but I would not put it in the timber with my track machine. Bruce

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Synthetic rope on winches

Post by NWJD fan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:51 pm

I will second what B town said about using various rope alternatives on winches. We use a number of kevlar variants for longlines to sling under helicopters with. They are very light and handle much nicer than steel and are quite durable in straight line pulls, however they are very intolerant of abrasion like rubbing against something on a bent pull. If you inadvertently knot one and pull hard on it you will be cutting that piece out and making 2 lines, if you did manage to unknot it that section would be compromised and likely to fail in fairly short order. The stuff responds unfavourably to oil, grease, fuel, dirt and assorted chemicals and it is expensive. Much nicer to coil up and carry around that 100 feet of 5/8 steel cable though.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Steel Cable it is then. I am sure any cable on my winch will get grease, dirt, mud and all of that treatment so thanks for the heads up on the options.

I will be much more careful on long rewinds on a cable without a load to avoid the tangles.

On not having a canopy, I have lined up for one for my 350c, I just need time to get west and pick it up. Hopefully I will get that done and the winch moved over from the b before the log skidding work resumes in Feb. For now, I will get a new cable on and take down that leaner in the photos,(and one other that is over our ski trails). All the rest will just have wait.

Scott
backhoe attachment.