Stuck Winch Cable 350b/arch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Dan at Omaha Slings as recommended a 1/2 inch 6X26 cable for my 3325. Korean made is $1.85 and USA is $3.54/ft. I have not pulled the trigger,yet. I thought I would just throw it out there so you have some reference to go by. Good Luck, Bruce

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Scotty: I really like seeing your project. I live on land that is steeper than yours, but I managed to carve out a homestead using thoughts similar to those you've shared. Have fun using your extensive complement of "toys" reaching your goals. On another note, leaners can be easier to deal with if chokered before cutting. Put your choker on high with a bit of cable tension, notch or "no-notch" the tree, then make your back cut from the "high side" so you are out of the way as the tree rolls and hopefully goes to the ground. If it still is hung up, the set choker allows you to use your machine and winch to get it off the stump while you are out of harm's way. We often wrapped and hooked the choker in such a way as to facilitate the roll so the tree came down doing as little damage as possible and kept us safe. Hope this is helpful and not confusing. Merry Christmas. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:23 am

The best little buddy my logging crawler has ever had.

These little 610s look a bit fragile but don't let the look fool you. Light and agile with full sized tires, these chain driven, air cooled Wisconson powered skid steers have been a huge help to us with the grapples and forks for moving branches and small stumps. Easy to fix and find parts for, I have a few so I do not have to trailer them around much.

I back drag this land scape rake and pull the debris into piles then pick them up with the grapple. I keep spare tines on hand as I break them off frequently.

Here is an attachment I modified to help with the clean up after logging that I think is awesome...

after a half day in the forest it needs to come in for a tune up.

Image The problems with it start when I use it to push. As long as I only pull it stays together well.

Better than 10 people picking up sticks though.

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:13 am

Paul, thanks for the tips. I like to try to pull down leaning trees with the root ball attached whenever possible. Once on the ground I cut them off and get the roots out and haul them to the burn pile. Then skid away the log, rake up the branches and around the stump hole then, finish up with the grapple. I just wish I had all the equipment I have now, when we started this project. !
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:00 am

I'd love to have a 4wd rubber tired backhoe w/enclosed cab, and quick disconnecting bucket/forks for those "other" tasks that my dozer can't do well.
Oh well, then I'd be spending even more time working :)
You have some pretty big trees and stumps to deal with. I'm sure you are proud of what you've accomplished so far. Enjoy.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:23 am

Hi,

I have always gone with crawler/dozer and tractor/loader myself. Makes for a good pairing. Backhoes are so hard on u/c I want those on tractors, not crawlers....

Which is how it is around here. ;)

No cabs, though.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Willie B » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:58 pm

The Case 580K 4x4 with extend a hoe & my homemade thumb is the most versatile machine I've ever owned. The thing it is least useful for is grading. It moves too fast, I can't regulate bucket height quick enough, and the cutting edge depends on the rear wheels for level. It seems there is always one corner digging in, and the other up in the air. Grading with a compact track loader is easier, the whole track determines cutting edge angle, and you can see the cutting edge as you push.
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Willie B » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:19 pm

[quote="Scottyb"]Paul, thanks for the tips. I like to try to pull down leaning trees with the root ball attached whenever possible. Once on the ground I cut them off and get the roots out and haul them to the burn pile. Then skid away the log, rake up the branches and around the stump hole then, finish up with the grapple. I just wish I had all the equipment I have now, when we started this project. ![/quote]

I've never before owned a crawler, but seldom do I cut a tree either. I want the stump out too. The trunk of a tree is a very effective lever. I either use the Power Wagon winch and an extension ladder to chain the cable high in the tree, or use the backhoe with extenda hoe. Set the teeth in the tree trunk, and extend the hoe, leverage lifts the roots, and with a few repeats each lower, it tips over. Digging a large stump is a bigger job than I like. This affords plenty of mechanical advantage. I hope to soon report on winching with crawler.
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi,

I use a crawler/dozer to pop the stumps. Blade up high, push forward, and roll the stump on its' side. Back up a little, lower blade, push it right out. Easy.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)