Sod

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Sod

Post by Willie B » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:37 pm

I am one of those people who can't bear to pay a professional to have all the fun, when I love doing it. My friend in a family excavating business doesn't get it. "Why wouldn't you rather pay somebody to do your earthmoving, than buy a machine then have to do the work?" He doesn't get that what he sees as grunt work is fun to the rest of us. Couple that with the fact that one contractor is close enough to family, I'd be uncomfortable going elsewhere, and they treat me like family. When they have nothing else to do is when they do my work. I once waited 18 months for them to dig a hole for me to build a garage!

Owning machines is mentally therapeutic! I'm only happier in one other activity than running machinery. That isn't saying broken machines are fun.

Now the question: I have a once upon a time meadow. It grew up to second growth forest. 45 years ago the trees were cut, and left to rot. Each cherry stump 12" diameter sprouted about ten runners. By the time I bought it 28 years ago it was a full blown jungle. I bought an old IH utility tractor and Bush Hog. Once again it was meadow! Now, thousands of stumps have rotted away, and each has left a hole. Mowing is a long slow process. I've plowed a portion of it turning up hundreds of rocks ranging from baseballs to easy chair size. I hope I can grade, chewing up sod, or pile the top two inches of sod, and let rot, then spread it back. Will it work?

I also have a wooded knoll I want to strip trees, stumps, top soil and flatten. I'd like a level house site with view. there is road work too.

I found a 450B I think I can use and afford. I don't imagine it'll be without repairs, but I accept that as a fact of life.
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.