Winch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Winch

Post by Willie B » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:43 am

I'd like to have a logging winch for my new to me 450B. Are they available?

It occurs to me spending years looking for the accessory everyone else wants is a waste of time. Other options are hydraulic winch or electric. A frame could be built like the Farmi winches sold for three point wheel tractors. Winch cable would run to a pulley, then swivel. This eliminates the need for a massive fairlead. This wouldn't be about retrieval, but lifting the end of a log to drag. Saw logs, or firewood benefit from less dragging in dirt.

Willie
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi: This site may be helpful. Good luck in your search.
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=197583320
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi,

Hmmm. Optimist, pessimist and realist.....

Yes, going OT with Willie's tag line here. ;)

To an optimist, the glass is half full.

To a pessimist, it is half empty.

To a realist, it is just plain half a glass.
Full v empty requires knowing which way you were heading when it got to half!

Also...

To an optimist a realist is a pessimist.

To a pessimist, a realist is an optimist.

To a realist, both the pessimist and optimist are just plain wrong, and Boy, are they in for a rude awaking some one of these days!

:P

Stan

Oh. The question. Probably unobtainium and if not, probably both overpriced and overused.....dang! There I go being a realist again! But, this does seem to be the way winches go around here, anyway.

How about a ripper attachment? They rise up pretty good via hydraulics. Take the teeth out, wrap a chain, and lift the end of the log. Be like using a 3pt and a drawbar between the arms.

Speaking of the 3pt. Now, there is something which *is* Unobtanium.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:04 pm

STAN the glass is to big LOL :lol: :lol:

do you know what you get when you send a jack ass to school? :D :D
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:51 pm

Paul Buhler wrote:Hi: This site may be helpful. Good luck in your search.
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=197583320

Paul, great find. This guy has some nice equipment parts for sale!
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Electric is a waste of time. First time you put the crawler in gear with something hooked to the winch cable, you will have a large pile of small parts and some cable.
If you really want to do any skidding, only way to go is factory winch. Might be hard to find, but they are out there.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Tom: I think Mark is a member of this board. I know from prior conversations that he is discrete when it comes to advertising here.
I figured that a Vermonter may be interested in a local option considering transportation costs.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

notmeu
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by notmeu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Willie, I agree with lavoy. Find yourself a winch that was designed or the crawler. They are hard to come by and it probably will need some fixin, it took me months to find mine, but they do come up for sale from time to time.
1956 JD420, gearmatic 8a winch, custom 6 way blade and FOPS.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

450 Winches

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:44 pm

These should be readily available. I'm in Alberta and have 4 or 5 in stock at the moment. Some may need brake and clutch work as they have been sitting for a while. I normally get 2,500 Canadian for a complete working winch with control cable and handle. We mount and test prior to sale. Add another $500 if you need the winch input shaft.

If the shipping isn't too bad this could be a descent deal as the Canadian dollar is way down in value at the moment.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

Jd winch info

Post by pondhogvt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Hey,, you guys gossiping about me and my winches? I don't mind alittle gossip as it lets people know I am not dead yet Ha!..

you gotta love Stan as he tells it as he sees it,, I think I am a realist but depends on the day.. some days I am not very pleasant oh well...

and thank you Paul he always shows some nice stuff on my behalf,, and this is a man who has never met me or even talked on the phone,, kinda like Vermont used to be.. thanks Paul we really should talk some time.. but I don't know how you found that post on that forum as I have never listed things there, ever! but thanks all the same...

I will chime in on this subject like everybody else,,, please consider that I am an old Vermonter in my up bringing and say what I believe to be true as a realist,, right Stan.. not trying to offend anybody.. that being said..

Electric home made winches, hydraulic home made adapted winches off some tow truck etc, and all farmi and related tractor winches,, are total junk period.. garbage that costs more then they are worth,, yes these old john deere winches are old, but they bolt up perfect,, give you clearance over stumps and when working right will literally drag your dozer all over the place, 350, 450 and 550.

they are strong when working correctly,, they are cast iron housings made to be rebuilt.. . it's just bearings and clutches and seals.. yes it costs money but if you rebuild one it will last 20yrs to a home owner and chances are if it quits it's usually the seals that let oil onto brakes or clutches.. not broken parts.

the last winch I rebuilt 2 weeks ago I took step by step photos of the whole process, if I new how to post here I would show you guys. it was kinda fun. as even I have never had a winch that far apart,, all the main drum bearings were bad on both sides so at that point we did them all, ring and pinion, main drum both sides and input shaft bearings.. its all fairly straight forward just time consuming, and setting preload and backlash of the pinion is the most crucial but not hard.. I like ,004"s book says like .002 to .011.. sometimes you just have to feel it and go with your gut..

anyway that's my 2 cents and 2 cents ain't worth what it used to be and neither am I. Ha!

happy holidays to all Mark
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Jd winch info

Post by Willie B » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:46 pm

[quote="pondhogvt"]Hey,, you guys gossiping about me and my winches? I don't mind alittle gossip as it lets people know I am not dead yet Ha!..

you gotta love Stan as he tells it as he sees it,, I think I am a realist but depends on the day.. some days I am not very pleasant oh well...

and thank you Paul he always shows some nice stuff on my behalf,, and this is a man who has never met me or even talked on the phone,, kinda like Vermont used to be.. thanks Paul we really should talk some time.. but I don't know how you found that post on that forum as I have never listed things there, ever! but thanks all the same...

I will chime in on this subject like everybody else,,, please consider that I am an old Vermonter in my up bringing and say what I believe to be true as a realist,, right Stan.. not trying to offend anybody.. that being said..

Electric home made winches, hydraulic home made adapted winches off some tow truck etc, and all farmi and related tractor winches,, are total junk period.. garbage that costs more then they are worth,, yes these old john deere winches are old, but they bolt up perfect,, give you clearance over stumps and when working right will literally drag your dozer all over the place, 350, 450 and 550.

they are strong when working correctly,, they are cast iron housings made to be rebuilt.. . it's just bearings and clutches and seals.. yes it costs money but if you rebuild one it will last 20yrs to a home owner and chances are if it quits it's usually the seals that let oil onto brakes or clutches.. not broken parts.

the last winch I rebuilt 2 weeks ago I took step by step photos of the whole process, if I new how to post here I would show you guys. it was kinda fun. as even I have never had a winch that far apart,, all the main drum bearings were bad on both sides so at that point we did them all, ring and pinion, main drum both sides and input shaft bearings.. its all fairly straight forward just time consuming, and setting preload and backlash of the pinion is the most crucial but not hard.. I like ,004"s book says like .002 to .011.. sometimes you just have to feel it and go with your gut..

anyway that's my 2 cents and 2 cents ain't worth what it used to be and neither am I. Ha!

happy holidays to all Mark[/quote]

Thanks Mark. You talked to my son today. Soon when I'm confident this thing is what I believe it to be, I'll be in touch.

Bill Beauregard aka Willie B
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:30 am

Hi,

Well, this reslist is happy to be wrong about how difficult it would be to find a proper winch. Nicely happy, especially for folks around here looking for one.

And, I didn't want to say it, but I was thinking it, that winches msde for trucks were not what anyone wants on a crawler. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)