Shelter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Shelter

Post by Willie B » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:39 pm

The plan: Machinery shouldn't sit outdoors unprotected. That's my opinion. I hate to build a barn on the "land" The listers are like vultures. I'd pay an extra $500 a year in tax with a $2000. structure. I talked the local steel/scrap dealer out of an old oil tank. It's 8' diameter, 18 feet long. The "new" 450B won't quite fit inside 8' diameter. I'll cut it, and flatten two cut edges making it stand a bit taller with a gravel floor. We may build end closures, and swinging doors. Mrs. B hasn't been there in years. I'll plant Norway Pine around it. Given a few years, she won't notice it. She didn't notice the IH 385 for more than a year, and often she parked her car beside it. 3 miles away, she ain't gonna know about this. Maybe I need to paint the tractor red. Think she'll notice this tractor has no tires?
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:24 am

Hi,

Oh, yeah! She will notice a crawler, all right! Looks too different.... ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Willie B » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:50 am

[quote="Stan Disbrow"]Hi,

Oh, yeah! She will notice a crawler, all right! Looks too different.... ;)

Stan[/quote]

You haven't met Nancy. As long as she only sees one tractor at a time, that's how many tractors there are. However, among 10? stuffed animal Christmas decorations, one gets eaten by our son's giant Yellow Lab. That she noticed!
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

s281jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by s281jim » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:44 pm

Check your local codes as to how they deal with 'Picnic Pavillions.'
Around here if you keep it under 24', leave the sides open, and no electricity, it falls outside of codes, just an $80 permit, no assessment. Every municipality is different.

I love my country and agree we should all pay taxes, but the horsecrap I had to deal with when I built my house last summer was crazy.

Long story short, I got delayed a year and paid $5k for an elevation study to prove to some pencil pusher 30miles away that I am indeed 69ft above the 100 year flood plain. I even call BS on that, I bet its closer to 150ft.

Check your ordinances, and good luck. I'm thinkin your oil tank idea would be a lot of work before its all said and done, and maybe not the 'handiest' structure.

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Willie B » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:38 pm

[quote="s281jim"]Check your local codes as to how they deal with 'Picnic Pavillions.'
Around here if you keep it under 24', leave the sides open, and no electricity, it falls outside of codes, just an $80 permit, no assessment. Every municipality is different.

I love my country and agree we should all pay taxes, but the horsecrap I had to deal with when I built my house last summer was crazy.

Long story short, I got delayed a year and paid $5k for an elevation study to prove to some pencil pusher 30miles away that I am indeed 69ft above the 100 year flood plain. I even call BS on that, I bet its closer to 150ft.

Check your ordinances, and good luck. I'm thinkin your oil tank idea would be a lot of work before its all said and done, and maybe not the 'handiest' structure.[/quote]

In Hurricane Irene 2011 I was not in the flood hazard zone, therefore I was not eligible to buy flood insurance. At one point behind myself a usually dry old brook channel was 18 feet deep. Inside my barn water was 5' deep. In a span of 4 hours flood waters carried away 3,000 Cubic Yards of earth mostly giant boulders averaging 5' across. The concrete floor of the barn hung from the building. Below that, there was room for Abe Lincoln in a top hat to walk! The front lawn and town road lay 5' beneath raging flood water. Miraculously, the house, and garage were spared.

lurch85
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by lurch85 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:30 am

*cough I know a lot of people that would take the floor out of a school bus and put the rest on posts...paint it green if you want.
John Deere 420C, John Deere 350 straight with Gafner loader, John Deere 4020

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Willie B » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:32 am

[quote="lurch85"]*cough I know a lot of people that would take the floor out of a school bus and put the rest on posts...paint it green if you want.[/quote]

I like the idea! Dry storage cheap, and no property tax.