putting a 3325 winch on a early 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jd450/6-way
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Jd450/6-way » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:01 pm

I put in the pto shaft in my early 450 last night. I picked up a winch and log arch and pto shaft this summer. Theirs no pto lever and people have told me that I should be able to just put the shaft in and it will run all the time. Well it the pto shaft doesn't run. Did they make 450's with no gears to run the PTO or I'm missing something?

PTO John
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by PTO John » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:11 pm

If there was no pto gearing at the front, then surely the pto shaft must be flopping around? The front of the shaft is only supported by the larger gear. Even if you had to lower the oil level a bit, you could look in with a flash light to see if the gear is there. Just because there is no lever, does not mean that there is no pto disconnect, just that the lever might of been taken off of the sliding rod that the disconnect yoke is attached to. If you see about a 5/8 rod near the top of the transmission and under the right floor plate, try pulling it forward.
John Watson

Jd450/6-way
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Jd450/6-way » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:45 pm

I just got to look inside the clutch housing today with the snake camera. I didn't find the 5/8" shaft and the hole is capped off/not drilled. It's hard to tell if the PTO shaft is flopping around with the new bearing. But it looks like I'm going to be pulling the engine ahead in the spring and putting in those gears or another cover with gears and a shift leaver.

Thanks for your help John I looked up some of your other post's and is their anything your machine can't do?

Thanks Stefan W

Jd450/6-way
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Jd450/6-way » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:47 pm

I just got to look inside the clutch housing today with the snake camera. I didn't find the 5/8" shaft and the hole is capped off/not drilled. It's hard to tell if the PTO shaft is flopping around with the new bearing. But it looks like I'm going to be pulling the engine ahead in the spring and putting in those gears or another cover with gears and a shift leaver.

Thanks for your help John I looked up some of your other post's and is their anything your machine can't do?

Thanks Stefan W