JD350 crawler loader , backhoe low hyd press

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Kipp
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD350 crawler loader , backhoe low hyd press

Post by Kipp » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Gents, I am looking at an early (pos 1st gen) 350 crawler loader hoe that appears to have a gremlin. Before I buy at an extremely cheap price I would like some opinions. It has a steering issue , one track wont steer at all the other has new steer clutch and works well. prob an adjustment issue as it started acting uo after new installed. More seriously the hyd press is so low it will bareley pick up the boom or bucket. The owner replaced the hydraulic pump and changed all the fluids and some lines, it changed nothing. this is a diesel unit that runs well and appears to be in fair usable shape. owner believes it is early 60s first gen. Any ideas? Had a Case friend tell me JDs run a hyd charge pump but he wasn't sure. Machine seems to be a steel at under 3k but don't need a yard ornament or money pit. I have been working on tractors and equipment my whole life but have zero miles with any tracked stuff.

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Is everything slow/weak on the backhoe or just 1 function? Does the loader function OK? Are the backhoe hydraulics supplied by a power beyond system or is there a diverter valve you need to select when you want to use the back hoe?

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi,

Steering issue may be the usual 'we redid the side that went bad' one. But the other side is just as old. So, they tend to go fairly soon after....sort of like headlamps....

I always expect that and so do both sides at the same time.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

egeor
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by egeor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:53 pm

If it is a loader it has a hydraulic filter in the tank pull the top off the hydraulic tank.See if the filter is plugged.
It may also be a pinched hose or metal line. The low pressure hose runs along the frame on right side the high pressure line mostly metal runs along frame on left side
68 350 loader
79 350c loader
88 case 580k 4x4
89 ford 2120 4x4

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:09 am

First things first, make sure there is enough oil in the hydraulic system. Then assuming you are trying this with the Hoe attached and also assuming nothing has been changed on the machine, I would unhook the hoses that feed the Backhoe and connect them as if the hoe wasn't on the machine. In other words you will be separating the hoe from the loader hydraulically. The two lines that are on the crawler side have to be connected together for the crawler to operate. After doing this, try the hydraulics on the loader and see what you have. If it works your problem will be in the Backhoe's hydraulics. If you still have a problem then it will be on the crawler somewhere. It could be the filter or a problem with a line as mentioned or a pressure relief valve stuck open. However this is a quick way to check and see which component has the issue. There is no charge pump on any 350. They only have the one hydraulic pump.

Your steering issue could be adjustments or something stuck. If you can get the machine cheap enough then you can feasibly spend a few grand on it and then have a machine that will be worth something.
Crawlers in general are cost magnets. Your under carriage alone is eighty percent of the maintenance cost of these machines. As Stan has in his signature, "There is no such thing as a cheap crawler." That says it all right there.
So that being said, if you aren't willing to spend a few bucks then I would steer clear. But again if it can be gotten cheap enough then you could end up with a winner. It takes money to make money I always say. Crawlers are usually a good investment as long as you do things right and don't try to fix one on the cheap. You also need to consider your machine is closing in on sixty years old. It all depends on what you want to have in the end.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Kipp
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kipp » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:16 am

Apparantly I was misinformed , the crawler loader hoe I am looking at is a 450. The owner now seems to have much less accurate info . All the work he said he did was supposedly done by the previous owner . Obviously , I have to go there and dig into this machine to get some actual facts. He says he has all the manuals and all the old parts. Now the boom and bucket wont raise at all so will have to jack and winch them up. Still holds fast to it being a first series 450, we will see.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:22 am

JUST a side note to what LeonardL said DO NOT disconnect the HYD hose when machine is running and do not start the machine until the hoses on the crawler are hooked back together
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:10 am

Hi,

Well...350s are 3-cyl and 450s are 4-cyl...so at least that part will be easy for you to ID the base crawler. Just count injector lines. :)

Stan

Edit: Or, spark plug wires. Early machines in both series could be had as gassers.....

Willie B
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Willie B » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:14 pm

I don't know these tractors, whether they have closed center hydraulics, or not. I had a 410 backhoe, 15 minutes after starting it'd lose all hydraulic power. It turned out three of six spools in the backhoe control valve had bores too large for the spool internally. Oil that should build high pressure was flowing freely past these spools to the tank. The hydraulic shop believed they weren't worn, but were bored too big in the first place.
An optimist is usually wrong, and doomed to disappointment. he is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, delighted to be wrong, and is well prepared.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:54 pm

jtrichard wrote:JUST a side note to what LeonardL said DO NOT disconnect the HYD hose when machine is running and do not start the machine until the hoses on the crawler are hooked back together
Good point... I should have said that!!! :oops:
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:36 pm

Sounds simple. First make sure pump is turning under load (coupling not stripped). Loosen line on suction side of pump and see if you strike oil. A restriction less than total will give you slow operation, not no operation. Then check pressure relief valve in loader control. If you have a diverter valve make sure the spool didn't snap in two. If this doesn't fix it pull the pump and make sure it was properly assembled. It is hard to imagine that it was used until the spools were ALL completely worn out if it doesn't work at all.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Kipp
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kipp » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:06 am

Will be going to inspect machine this week. Owner has old pump so will start by looking at that. Unfortunately he will not allow me to do any dissassembly or testing as it now sits in his paved driveway in residential street. Starting to send red flags even if its only 2500. His esitancy makes me think he knows whats wrong and is jumping ship

Kipp
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kipp » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:13 am

Owner assures me it will drive on a trailer w no issues but i will have to jack up and tie off the boom and bucket. Do the direcional boxes run off a diff hydraulic system ? Like a closed torque convertor? Seems odd it will drive and have no other hydraulic movement

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:23 am

Kipp wrote:Owner assures me it will drive on a trailer w no issues but i will have to jack up and tie off the boom and bucket. Do the direcional boxes run off a diff hydraulic system ? Like a closed torque convertor? Seems odd it will drive and have no other hydraulic movement
The motion hydraulic system and the lift/bucket hydraulic systems are not one and the same. The lifting/bucket hydraulics comes from the front of the engine, the transmission hydraulics (on a 450) is internal to the transmission. A manual explains all that.

Given the location of the loader, on a paved driveway in a residential area, if I were the owner I wouldn't let you take it apart either. I have a 450 and I've done my fare share of oiling down my gravel driveway while working on it. If you work em your gonna break em, they are old.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 am

Hi,

The drive system is best described as hydraulically operated mechanical. The direction reverser is the hydraulic part, with its own internal sump and pump. This passes engine power to mechanical gear box and final drives.

All attachments are hydraulic power only from the pump off the front of the engine, and this system has the big sump tank to the right side of the seat.

There is no connection between the two, save the engine crankshaft. So, the machine could move fine and yet not operate the attachments.

Stan