450c steering

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
altonlee
40C crawler
40C crawler

450c steering

Post by altonlee » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 am

Happy New Years everyone.

Still having problems with the steering on the 450 c. Ordered the service manual, but it does not show pictures in the manual that looks like my setup.

The books shows to adjust the steering clutches to take the plate off the to of the housing and adjust them inside, also the book shows a set screw that should be on the face of the housing toward the front. Mine doesn't have this bolt there. There is one on the side of the machine on each side that looks like it.

Is there a big difference in the older machines compared to the newer ones?

I'm thinking my manual does not go with my 450c.

Is there any videos out there to show how to adjust the clutches?

Thanks

Alton

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:49 am

The manual I have for my 450C is TM 1102

JIM

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:51 am

C is a wet clutch machine, the older ones are dry, probably no real correlation between the two as far as steering clutches.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

450c steering clutches

Post by pondhogvt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:34 pm

Sounds like your manual is for a 450 or 450B... are you sure the manual is correct for the machine and is it a 450C,,, whatis your serial number of the dozer...

Not much adjustment on the 450C as it is a whole assembled clutch pak when you put it in the machine.. springs, plates and disks are checked when you put them in the brake housing...

not meaning they can't be adjusted,, but it's mostly external adjustments for free play and the amount of travel etc.. if it's slipping you can check for low oil pressure,, there is a small hydraulic line in there that will leak or break and dump all your pressure,, and there are some sealing type rings in the clutch pak that can wear out and leak oil pressure by...

the break can be adjusted from the outside to take up slack,, if your levers are coming all the way back to your lap you can take up that slack as long as the brake band is still good,,, they only tighten so much.. the brake has a little spring tensioned cog that is supposed to be self tightening but sometimes they freeze up,, you can reach in from those big plug holes and turn the cog with a brake tool or even a flat screw driver like the old cars and trucks used to have to tighten the drum brakes.,

first check your book against the machine for correct match... Good luck Mark.
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.