Finale Drive Help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jboettcher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Finale Drive Help

Post by jboettcher » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:18 pm

I had too replace all seals & Bearings on the "right finale drive" for my 1988 JD 555A. No problem pushing just leaking oil bad. I have completed the work which not to bad, just very heavy parts to deal with. The problem now is "the right drive will not pull now". All I had before was a leak. What did I do. I have went over the repairs I made and can't think of a mistake except the following. At the time I didn't know to loosen the set screw at the top of the finale drive and pull it out. It came out anyway and didn't damage anything. I haven't tight'nt it yet where the top male gear goes into the female spline. Would this make it not turn? Help.

Myassitis

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:50 pm

Jim I take it you are maybe dealing with a damaged spline I just bought a 450E with a damaged right final drive for near peanuts but putting me in the dog house [Somebody thinks I got too many toys!.] It just slid right out and yes it is damnd heavy to move into place. I made a lifting tool that was in that book you got and that works nice Got a whole final for 500 bucks from a wrecker Same as in your 555 loader. I noticed that things bound when going back to geather be patient and try another notch set But it should turn easy when in place.Digitup.

jboettcher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Digitup / Finale Drive

Post by jboettcher » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:49 am

Digitup
Thanks for the reply, you always come thru. However you may have misunderstood my problem. After replacing all bearings and seals we re-installed the finale drive. That was after we had removed the drive without removing the set screw. (I got your book after it was removed). Bearings and seals were all junk, but the dozer pushed excellent, just leaked bad. Now that we have rebuilt and re-installed it does'nt leak but the track won't turn. I noticed that the female spline that has the set screw in it would push back some when the finale drive was off. We installed the finale, replimished all new oil, started it up and took off. Left track pulled but the right would not. Just went in a big circle. The male gear and the female spline were both in good to excellent condition, and dozer pushed good before so I think we did something wrong. I have not tightent that set screw yet. For the life of me I can't figure out what it does. Do you think the shaft is not in the spline, thus making the spline turn but not engaging the shaft? We had to turn the shaft to aline with the spline before the finale slipped into place. I'm at a loss. PS.
I'm starting to work on my Duck blind. Duck season starts last of October here. Do you duck hunt?

Jim Boettcher

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Yes I duck hunt but this year I have too much work and my old hunting partner is on the other side of the country Sounds like a good idea though ! Take that thing apart and look into that shaft Watch the steering clutch as well Guess I could go down shoot some ducks and fix a Deere if I had too LOL .Digitup.