455G Gears

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
tje
420 crawler
420 crawler

455G Gears

Post by tje » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:22 pm

I have a 1995 455G track loader and seem to have lost 2nd gear in forward and reverse. It worked fine on Saturday but by the end of day Sunday it was pretty well just a blank spot in the 2nd speed position. This is a direct drive model.

This thing does sit for long periods of time but the machine was always well maintained with everything in good working order....until now.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Check your linkage through the shifter mechanism. Could be adjustment or something has come undone. Other wise you will need to hunt up a book and run some pressure tests. It's been too long sense I have done one so a Tech manual is your best bet. I would have to read up to get re-familiar with it.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

tje
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by tje » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks for the reply Leonard. I am going to buy the full service manual today.

In the meantime do you think I can still use it for minimal work where I don't need 2nd due to tight quarters work? Oddly the 1st and 3rd were working perfectly with no hesitation at all.

Thanks again for the reply as I can't seem to find anything about this issue short of full Powershift transmission replacement which is not where I wanted to go as a first step.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:54 am

I don't really see why not at this point. It is odd that you have only lost second gear. I'm thinking an O-ring has given up and your leaking pressure somewhere. I'm assuming you have checked your fluid levels? However if it was that it should show problems in all speeds forward or reverse. Do you have a transmission temp gauge? If so what is the temperature doing? Tech manual would be a great purchase. Make sure you get the right one for your machine. Check against serial number to be sure.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

tje
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by tje » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes, checked fluid for both trans and hydraulic and all was well.

When it first started missing second it appeared it kicked out when I touched the steering brakes. It still will go into second once in awhile but it doesn't appear to be maintaining a consistent speed when it does go into 2nd. 1st and 3rd are fine but I haven't checked 4th due to lack of space.

My first thought was linkage since it was only 2nd gear but don't really know how this Powershift system works and nothing was obvious when I played with the shifter to see if it felt loose or sloppy in that range of motion.

I ordered the book from Jensales which it says is a complete 455G rebuild manual (626 pages) and in the mean time will check temperature when I go back to my site. I'll also delve into it some more with regards to trying to trace the motion under the shifter by removing some covers. Would the transmission we controlled electronically on a 1995 model or is it all linkage and hydraulics?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the shifting is all done mechanically. Either by physical linkage or hydraulics or combination of the two. As I said before it has been a really long time since I messed with one of these. I also don't remember which gears are associated with each other. I would be really interested to know what it is doing in fourth gear. I realize this is road gear and you will need some room to see it function. Kind of hard to do with limited space.

tje
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by tje » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:27 pm

I'll check out 4th on Saturday. I was looking in the JDparts website and it appears based on parts the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th have some relation to each other based on gears or clutch plate parts.

tje
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by tje » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Weather finally broke and I got the time to get back to it. 4th gear worked.

I opened up the linkage and transmission controller area under the seat and battery box. Spent much of the weekend cleaning out the dirt and oily debris which pretty well fill up the whole area. The linkage appears to be working as it is suppose to.

Decided to also remove the transmission filter and cut it open to see what was in it and it was clean. I figured if the clutch plates were breaking down I'd see some remnants in the Transmission filter?

The manual arrived also and there isn't a troubleshoot section so am unsure what else might cause this and would like to rule out everything before looking at a complete transmission rebuild. Great details and directions to do lots of things but am not sure what tasks need to be checked because I am not sure of the logic of this transmission and how it works.

The machine has about 6100 hours.

Thanks,
Tom