JD 450 troubleshooting and general ?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
GHOSTSS
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 450 troubleshooting and general ?

Post by GHOSTSS » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:36 pm

First time crawler owner here. Just bought a 450 loader/backhoe with 4 in 1 bucket. Amazing critter I must say.

I went in debating the Deere or Case and determined the Deere was a stronger, heavier, more reliable machine but requires more maintenance and is harder to work on. I've owned a 70's Deere backhoe in the past and a late 60's Case backhoe as well. I found the same to be true about them and usually fell back on the Deere when I needed quality of work. That influenced this decision more than anything probably. I tell you this so you know I didn't come in blind. I am a shade tree mechanic and not much scares me once I get in it, except transmissions and that is only because I have no experience with them.

I am in the process of adjusting the clutches and brakes on my 450. I can't do the factory method because the brake pedal linkage is frozen up currently. I will get in at some point and break it loose but until then I plan on adjusting them by feel. I have a pretty good understanding of how they work and just have a couple of fine tuning questions. Since I haven't actually been inside her yet I was hoping some of you with real world knowledge can help me figure out why it's doing certain things.

First, it turns beautifully in reverse. Clutches disengage and she spins like a top. When going forward I have to pull hard to the left but right side is perfect so we will focus on the left.
Why would it do great in reverse and not forward? Clutches are disengaging in FW. I put it up against a tree. It's noisy when they are disengaged and I'm wondering if there is Maybe a surface rust issue and using it for a while will knock it off. I plan on adjusting the clutches some more to see if I can get more release out of them and see what that does. Brakes were replaced last year according to old owner and they will grab and shut it down if I tighten up the bolts above the tracks so that's encouraging to me.
Am I going about this the right way?

Second issue and the one that makes me nervous is the gear selector on the left side only works in one position. Not sure which one but I think it's the second one from the top. If I pull it all the way up or push it down it doesn't do much of anything. There is no indicators and the lever kind of flops around so I'm assuming that's the position it's in. I just got it home a couple days ago so I need to check the tranny fluid levels and such to see if that could be an issue. Just wanted some thoughts from you guys on which direction to go.

Finally I have read that some folks leave these parked with the steering levers held back to prevent the clutches sticking. That something I need to do?

I bought this to dig a hole for a storm shelter this spring and then in a few years plan on using it to clear land and build a house. I'd love to go through it and rebuild what needs it as time allows.

It's a straight 450 SN. 105981T. Based on the index I think that makes it a 1970 model. I also live in Arkansas where humidity is not our friend.

Any and all help is appreciated.

DirTone
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DirTone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:17 pm

Pull the seat should be two small covers on top of clutch housings remove them inside you will see two bolts in each housing one adjusts the clutch the other is for adjusting the brake bands adjust them so clutch disengages an as soon as it disengages the brakes need to be adjusted to start engaging....Gear selector on your left hand is probably out of adjustment my 450 is really picky kind of a pain to get it in the gear you want when im not using my dozer I throw a cover over all the important stuff controls an seat.

DirTone
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DirTone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Also if it was my dozer first thing I'd do is fix the frozen brake pedal problem!!

GHOSTSS
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GHOSTSS » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:43 am

I've already made some adjustments and it's better, just still need to get that one clutch to release more I think. Weird that it releases in reverse but not forward. Any advice on keeping the steering levers held back during storage? Would that actually help? Having never been inside one, I can't confirm it will make a difference.

I'm keeping it under a carport so its not being rained on and yes I need to get that Brake fixed ASAP. Still trying to figure out where it is binding. It's not at the pedal, it's under the seat somewhere and I have to figure out how to get to it.

How do you adjust the gear selector?

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:40 am

It sounds more like you have some worn out parts on the gear selector and or linkage. There is a procedure for adjusting the steering clutches and brakes. It’s on here somewhere. I adjusted mine according to the procedure and then tweaked it a little to fit me better. Check all of the linkage and the shift lever for wear and replace or repair what is loose.

markmc60
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by markmc60 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:52 am

GHOSTSS wrote:I've already made some adjustments and it's better, just still need to get that one clutch to release more I think. Weird that it releases in reverse but not forward. Any advice on keeping the steering levers held back during storage? Would that actually help? Having never been inside one, I can't confirm it will make a difference.

I'm keeping it under a carport so its not being rained on and yes I need to get that Brake fixed ASAP. Still trying to figure out where it is binding. It's not at the pedal, it's under the seat somewhere and I have to figure out how to get to it.

How do you adjust the gear selector?
use a piece of wood, like a chunk of ply wood, each lever, pull the lever back and slide it under the lever pad where it lands on the floorboard, not too thick, just enough to ease the clutch pack and not stress the pressure plate springs.
450 dozer