JD450 (1968) engine fuel pump drive shaft.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 (1968) engine fuel pump drive shaft.

Post by Mariner » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of stripping down the engine and today removed the front gear case aluminum cover. I noticd the the fuel pump timing gear had been rubbing on the inside of the cover - that is the shaft has moved axially. I looked at the gear itself and saw that is was stciking out about 1/16" past the other gears. So being curious, I grasped the gear and pulled gently towards myself - OOOoopps, the gear and shaft came out easily, much too easily. Needless to say I didn't notice the gear position before meddling.

Two questions come to mind.

!1. Should the fuel pump drive shaft slip out that easily? If not then that is probably why it has moved axially.
2. What proviions are there to stop the shaft movement? Does the shaft seal serve to prevent movement, given that the seal is a two piece seal and both pieces face in opposite directions.

When the shaft came out it dumped diesel fuel all down the front of the engine, so I guess the seal was still doing it's job.

Thanks in advance, for any and all comments.

Mariner.

PS - this project is turning into quite discovery trip Budget already more than anticipated and a ways to go yet - hope I don't have me a money pit.
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Mariner Answer to the first question is NO it should not be like that and then YES there is the problem I cant remember back to the big differences in the 4-202sand the 4-239s but it seems to me that shaft is held by a set notch in the shaft lengh some how ?There is a question for your dealer.Dont be afraid to ask .Is the input shaft on the injector pump OK.Your big money is in the pump [and large money for that shaft] .Good Luck.Digitup.