my 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rudyman
MC crawler
MC crawler

my 450

Post by rudyman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:39 pm

My wife bought me a dozer for my birthday last October. I then tore a tendon in my left arm and couldn't touch it until this week. It is a 450 diesel 6 way blade. My question is ,the idler on the left side ( as you set on it) has an issue.shaft is worn out or the idler center is worn. I have located the " master link " I indexed the track to between the upper roller and the idler ,removed the track plates and am ready to press out the pin other than releasing pressure from track adjusters is there anything I should do to make this easier?

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:42 pm

I all ways put the master at about 3 o'clock on the sprocket it makes it easier to get it back together .....mid air makes it a bitch IMHO.. since you are working the front idler you can put the pin at 9 o'clock on the idler also
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Track Removal

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:21 pm

We used to do 3 o'clock on the sprocket and used a piece of pipe between the track link and final drive case to hammer out the master pins.

Much easier now that we built a track press, usually over the top roller.

Don't remove the grease nipple to remove track tension. Unscrew the bolt and jam nut beside it until the track begins to relax but do not remove it.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

350 track

Post by pondhogvt » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:37 am

Rudy, It was most interesting talking to you last night about finding the right steel for my portable track press,, thank you, you are very knowledgeable.. anyway,, back to your idler problem.. I also put the master-pin about three o'clock on sprocket to remove when I am taking off the track but in your case it depends on how much support equipment you have available to you.. if you split the track like that the track half that rolls forward to the blade will not clear the blade enough for you to get the idler off,,, so you have a couple options..

1. split the track by the front idler ,, raise the blade all the way up and let the split front have fall to the ground under the blade,,then start dozer and backup real slow and that will pull the back halve of track off the idler just enough for you to get the idler out. then put blade down with pressure and that will raise the track frame off the ground so you can slide it out..

2. split the track at the back sprocket.. then raise the blade all the way up, back up alittle to get the back half to drop, then go forward real slow to get the front half to drop ,, be careful because it will sometimes just take off with the weight and roll forward fast as it is no longer hooked together.then you can lower the blade to raise the track frame.. this way is harder to reconnect..

call me if you need to as I can talk better then I can type.. goodluck Mark from Vermont
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.