JD450 straight crawler steering clutches.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
slwbid
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 straight crawler steering clutches.

Post by slwbid » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Transmission or steering clutches are getting hot after 30 to 40 minutes use. I cant tell which it is.
Smoke/steam start coming out if Transmission filler hole aND transmission starts reacting very slowly to LHR shifts.
Also left steering clutch rake becomes useless.
So I may have 2 problems??
Question, can the length or width of the steering clutch pack be measured to determine degree of wear. If nit, how does one determine if clutch pack is worn out shout of removing and disassembling it?
(Tell clutch does not seem to slip)
Next question: How can I best determine what is causing the overheating and transmission sluggushness, once crawler is hot?
Stacy

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by pondhogvt » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:02 am

It sounds like your HLR clutch pack is already smoked... not to be the bearer of bad news but from what you described it is slipping and causing all the heat..

you need to put a gauge on it to check pressures,,, if it is low pressure in all ranges there may be hope that you can shim relief valve to get back to normal... if it is low only in certain ranges and then goes back to normal in a different range say high to low.. it probably is the manifold just above the clutch pack... it has a polished piston inside and sealing rings that look like a piston ring from a chainsaw motor...these rings can break or just score the inside of the manifold cylinder enough to lose pressure in that particular range.. or maybe transmission pump is bad and not putting out enough pressure..

either way by the time a tranny has got hot enough to smoke out the vent the HLR clutch pack is in need of repair,,,

The HLR is pretty tough but it doesn't take much slippage, slipping is a symptom of the real problem... low pressure is the problem..

hope this makes sense .. Mark
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

slwbid
420 crawler
420 crawler

450 hlr slipping

Post by slwbid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Thanks Mark.
very helpful.
I will try to figure out how to check my pressures and repost.

( I was hoping that since the HLR is not a dry clutch system that the smoke could be just from oil getting hot (I checked this weekend and my transmission cooler radiator is very stopped up).
Stacy