JD recall on HLR transmission safety issue?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
slwbid
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD recall on HLR transmission safety issue?

Post by slwbid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Have a straight 450 crawler.
the other day I cranked it, with safety flap correctly in place holding HLR in neutral.
I shifted the left side shifter (4 speeds) to low, let out the clutch and the dozer took off in reverse.
Fortunately there was nothing or no one behind me, or else the results could have been bad.

I have been told since then that JD had a recall on all HLR transmissions of that era due to the fact that they did have a tendency to 'jump' into reverse.

Can anyone say if this is true or not (that there is a recall)?
Also with my dozer being 45+ years old, would the recall still be valid for mine?

Thanks
SLWBID
stacy
Stacy

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:51 am

I suspect the linkage is out of adjust. Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Grab a flashlight and remove the seat and covers and give the shifter some movement. I did this yesterday on my 450C as I am getting ready for some adjustments and was surprised at how sloppy the linkages were. I have clevis pins wore half way through and the lock nut under the clevis for the shifter had been loose for a while now. It rocked all over the place side to side along with up and down from a worn pin. I'm off to town Thursday for all new pins and probably a clevis or two. The steering levers move 4 inches before actuating the arm they control. Pretty tired out. Anyway, it's a good place to start. Hopefully it is just linkage adjustments for you.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:22 pm

The thing is 45 years old.... The linkage and clevis's are wore out. On mine there is about 4 different stickers stuck to the dash section that say not to start without someone in the seat, shift levers in neutral and the brake set.

I can tell you when I was 45+ I did/do unpredictable things as well. Fix the mechanical issues
450C Track Loader
291457T

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD recall on HLR transmission safety issue?

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:02 pm

slwbid wrote: Can anyone say if this is true or not (that there is a recall)? Also with my dozer being 45+ years old, would the recall still be valid for mine?
My recollection of discussions on this is that the HLRs were retrofitted with the slotted "flap door" which basically locks over the HLR shift lever in the neutral position. This is akin to a mechanical safety on a firearm that physically locks the trigger in place and not an actual mod to the HLR- at least that is what I remember being discussed.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

slwbid
420 crawler
420 crawler

Jd450 HLR safety issue

Post by slwbid » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:20 am

Thanks for all the good info bere.
I do want to re-emphasize some specific about this incident:
- I was sitting in seat when this happened
- both shifters were in neutral
- the safety flap that ensures HLR is in neutral was properly in position
- I don't remember if I had the foot clutch depressed or not.
- When it cranked l the only shifter I moved was on left side.
- I shifted the left gear shifter to the lowest setting (1st gear)
- I let out on foot clutch, and away we went...in reverse.
- I depressed the foot clutch and the foot brake. It stopped.
- I checked to be sure the LHR safety flap was in the proper -safe - position. It was.

I have not yet found it again, but I distinctly recall reading about a jd safety recall for every 450 with HLR tranny built before a certain date, in order to fix this problem.

Thanks all and be safe
slwbid
Stacy

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:54 am

Didn't find anything from Deere about a recall but did find something about someone that was run over by a 450C

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19891142 ... 20v.%20MAY

I can say that if I bring mine to an down, 1100-1200 RPM with the foot brake set if I were to put the HLR in gear it will stall. The foot brake does not deactivate the HLR shifting pressures.
450C Track Loader
291457T

srs_mn
430 crawler
430 crawler

HLR neutral discussion

Post by srs_mn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:42 am

I had a 450C recalled and modified by JD... Note that, before the modification, there WAS NO NEUTRAL position for the 4 speed TRANSMISSION! The neutral flapper only secured the HLR direction reverser LEVER which, through wear in the linkage, could jiggle itself into activating the hydraulic clutches and make the machine move under power since the TRANSMISSION was ALWAYS in gear.
There is a discussion about it on 'Yesterday's Tractors' website... Do a Google search HLR recall - Yesterday's Tractors (75212)
Here are a couple quotes from the article:
Steve

jdemaris
09-26-2007 05:37:55
Re: JD450B HLR Shift Link
"For a long time, Deere Co. was giving away replacement HL-R linkage if worn, due to a class-action law-suit. It was a massive recall and I had to fix hundreds of them. But, that was during the late 80s, early 90s. John Deere was trying to find every 2010 and 450 crawler - up to the early Cs, that they ever built and update the HL-R linkage and shift valve. Maybe that's all done with now, maybe not? If your machine was already done, there be a neutral-groove sawed or grinded into the 4 speed range shift slot. If not, it may still qualify."

jdemaris
09-27-2007 05:51:01
 Re: JD450B HLR Shift Link
"The original problem was the machine taking off while in neutral (in the HL-R). The 4 speed range-trans. had no neutral position on the quadrant. So, the recall included a new shift-valve with a wider neutral-slot, new linkage to replace any that was worn, sawing or grinding a spot for neutral in the 4 speed range quadrant,and putting a decal on it that showed a gear-neutral. The newer shift valve works with any linkage."

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:17 pm

It's coming back to me now- I believe John had also discussed the linkage on this board as well. It had just been so long ago had forgotten about it.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment