350 brake adjustment bolt frozen

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

350 brake adjustment bolt frozen

Post by gcgrant » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:08 pm

My left side brake band adjustment bolt on my straight 350 is frozen. It's hard to put solid torque to it as the end of the brake band can flex a bit. And I sure don't want to break the bolt or strip it! I've sprayed some rust dissolver down the bolt trying not to get it on the band itself. I've been using a small impact driver to try to rattle it back and forth to no results so far.
Haven't tried heat on it yet as I think it would be hard for the heat to penetrate from the head of the bolt down to the threads through the spring etc.
Anyone have this problem with a successful outcome?

GCGrant

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Keep soaking it. I have used an impact gun and broken them loose. Otherwise it is a final drive removal. If you have to do that then put anti seize on the bolt before you replace it.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

Bad news, some good!

Post by gcgrant » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Well, I spent several days of trickling different concoctions down the bolt guaranteed to free up frozen bolts, rattling it with an impact and finally heating up the bolt head to no avail. I thought I as getting a little freedom and kept wrenching it back and forth till eventually the bolt broke!
The good news was that it broke right up at the top, inside the detent part, leaving some of the bolt shank still sticking through. Since I use this machine only a few hours a year, I really don't want to be pulling the final off! I was able to pull up on the band with a hook tool to tighten it up a bit, then I mig welded a blob onto the end of the bolt to hold it up. Definitely not adjustable, but tighter than it was before!
I know I am about at the limits of brake and steering clutch adjustment, and I am going to have to eventually do it all up properly!
But for now it'll work for me. Have been spraying brake cleaner down in an attempt to clean off the antisieze that must have trickled down on the drum.
Brake works just not really well.