Auxilliary Hydraulics (JD 350D)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Auxilliary Hydraulics (JD 350D)

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:14 pm

Is there an auxiliary hydraulic port on a JD 350D? I am assuming there would be in order to operate an add-on backhoe perhaps? I'd like to get as much pressure and flow as possible.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

350D

Post by pondhogvt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Dear sir, from what I can tell of the John Deere hydraulics is this, it appears to me that the main control valve is basically the same but with add ons..

Example,, we have a 450C parts dozer with all angle 6-way blade and backhoe ,, the 6-way control valve is the same as 350C and 350D, but they have tapped into the valve with a tee handle auxilliary valve that you activate when using the backhoe and de-activate when not using the backhoe.. and the plumbing dor the big backhoe hoses come from this and the valve..

Backhoes also require a bigger hydraulic pump on the front of the motor drive to run a backhoe efficiently.. if I could load a picture to show you I would but I do not know how.

If you e-mail me I could send you pictures directly that would probably explain it better then I did... Mark
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Awesome signature statement dude!! It depends on what you are wanting to do. There is a power beyond port on the side of the main control valve. If you are simply looking for power beyond hydraulic pressure then this is your best source. If you are looking for a controlled auxiliary hydraulic source then you will need another control valve to get your aux hydraulics by tapping into this port to supply the second valve.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:31 am

LeonardL: Glad you like my signature line; I am both a Christian and a sheep farmer so that is the reason it is stated as such. Thanks for the recognition on it too.

Now I take a deep breath and explain what I am going to attempt to do, only because I am cheap (farmer) and I have almost all the parts to do this.

I WANT A WINCH.

I have logged without winches and I never want to do that again. Fortunately I have a Fransgard Tractor 3 point hitch winch, but my bulldozer lacks a pto shaft. I was thinking, I can easily mount my tractor winch to the bulldozer by 3 brackets, but how to power it?

I have a hydraulic motor that is splined for a 540 PTO and so it would slip right on my winches drive shaft. All I would have to do then is plumb the return line back to an auxiliary port on the crawler, while the high pressure line would be go from an auxiliary port on the crawler, to separate control a valve, then go to the high pressure side on the hydraulic motor.

How would this work?

When I got to where I was cutting wood, I would put the dozer in neutral, rev it a bit to get pressure and flow, open the control valve to the winch and it would start rotating. I would run my cable out to my tree, and start winching it in. If it hit an obstruction, the clutches on the winch would prevent damage. Then when the tree finally got behind the crawler, the tree would be unhooked from the cable and hooked to the drawbar on the bulldozer. I would do likewise a few more times until I got several trees hooked onto the dozer and then go out to the deck.

There are a couple of key things here, the first being that the winch has its own clutch, preventing damage to itself. This is no different then how my 25 hp kubota tractor tugs wood out. It never stalls, the winch clutch disengages first. The second thing is, there is NO WAY I can lock the winch in and DRIVE the bulldozer forward. It would rip the winch apart or break the cable. I understand that and can live with that limitation. Really I just like being able to park the crawler in one spot and bring several trees to the crawler and hook the trees onto the drawbar. Its how I log now with my little Kubota; I never pull a twitch of logs by the cable. Finally it would not be strong enough to pull the crawler from being stuck, but that is something I would have to live with.

It is limiting I know, but the only thing I would need to buy is some fittings, hydraulic hose and valve...if the hydraulics on the crawler would have the ponies (25 roughly) to power the winch enough.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:45 am

The way I see it; I have several options:

1) Park my tractor and winch close to the crawler and use its winch to bring wood close enough to attach several trees to its drawbar before heading to the deck.

Pros: No cost
Cons: Working two pieces of equipment doing the same job/hard sometimes to get tractor into wet areas

2) Mount winch to bulldozer via hydraulic lines

Pros: Cheap to do
Cons: Unsure if crawlers hydraulics will power winch/winch is weak and limited

3) Mount winch to crawler via pto shaft

Pros: Ensured power for winch
Cons: Still have weak winch

4) Mount gearmatic winch made for crawler to crawler

Pros: Perfectly matched winch for crawler/power
Cons: Cost/Installation process

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:29 am

was thinking on doing the same thing. i have hydraulic winch and aux is already on crawler so just need to mount but have same concern is there enuff power in the hydraulics for now i hook and pull with the bucket but this requires getting close to trees and backing out of woods if you get it hooked up let us know how it works