JD450 Engine balancer shafts

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450 Engine balancer shafts

Post by Mariner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi all,

I am working on the engine (4-202) from my '68 crawler/loader and have a couple of questions regarding the balance shaft bearings/bushings. Reading the JD manual they say to use tool JD-255 staking tool and JD-249 bushing driver when doing the bearings. Both tools are obsolete and the local JD dealer doesn't have them either, to loan out.

Questions are:
Those of you that have rebuilt your engines, did you change out the balance shaft bushings? If you did, did you "stake" them in place using the JD-255 tool? If not and you relied on the press fit of the bushings in the bore of the block, has it worked ok? Have you had any turn at all?

I have talked to a local engine rebuilder who is well thought of around this area, and they claim to just push out the old bushings and push in the new ones (lining up oi holes)- have never staked them. They have had no problems with them turning in use.

Thanks in advance, for any comments or help.

Mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:52 pm

balancer shaft berrings should friction fit as the origional new ones fit with no need to key inplace If you need to replace the berrings inspect the crank as well as the block surfice for wear and damage. When they go they tend to hammer them selves around closing off the oil jurnal on the block and this creates another bigger problem As I stated earlyer I have put 15000 hours+ on a 4-202 and a couple of 4-239s in dozers with no problems But that same 4-202s and 4-239s in 3 backhoes were replaced after berrings spun around 8000 hours And no problems at all with the 4-276 motors in hoes and dozers the shaft on those 4- 276s had a lot greater throw on them and no biger berring surface then the 4-202s and 239s. My backhoes live easyer lives than the Dozers do . But I think ideling can kill a set of balancer berrings very quickly.Check your other surfices and stock fit should be enough .Digitup.