JD350B Reverser problems?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
eidolon
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD350B Reverser problems?

Post by eidolon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:13 pm

JD 350B crawler with reverser. Used it for about 20 hours since I got it. Just started having problems with power to the tracks - forward & reverse. wouldn't pull itself uphill. Higher rpms didn't help. Slowed to idle and crippled back to the shop. dropped pan and pulled reverser filter. Filthy, as I suspected. Replaced it and fluids. Some improvement, but wont pull in hi gear. wont pull in any gear unless I yank and release both steering levers. Then it will push fairly good. Operating temp doesn't seem to matter. Hot, cold, same. suspect one of reverser relief valves may be plugged up. don't suspect pump or clutches since it stopped working rather suddenly. steering clutches and brakes are strong. Anyone with experience, ideas, appreciate advice.
JD 350B, IH 500E

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:11 am

First of all do you have a tech manual for your machine? If not then you need to get one. Secondly... Have you checked for debris in and around the clutch pedal and its linkage to the valve body on the reverser? It doesn't take very much debris around the clutch linkage to effect the reverser. You don't have an actual clutch on your machine. The clutching comes from an accumulator inside the valve body for the reverser. I've seen little pieces of debris as small as 1/8 inch get in between the accumulator lever and the housing of the valve body and cause your issue.
Another possibility is the "Rate of Shift Screw" on the reverser valve body. Here is where you need the tech manual to help locate the plug where this screw is located. I don't remember exactly which one it is. However it will be a small Allen wrench or Hex key style plug next to the larger relief valve plugs on the bottom of the valve body. Remove this plug and there will be an adjustment screw up inside the port. With a small flat screw driver you can back this screw out a little to see if it helps your engagement of the reverser. Just don't back it out too much as this changes the rate of your engagement when you shift from one direction to the other. This could also be the accumulator itself or the linkage that operates it. This is inside the valve body but you can remove it while still in the machine. You need to have some mechanical ability to do this however.
I hope this helps and good luck.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:22 pm

LearnardL beat me to it.

I had this issue when I got my JD 350D and it was/still is the main clutch pedal. It sticks but despite lubing up all the linkages; when first started up, the clutch might not engage all the way. After a bit it frees up, or I can pull back with the top of my foot.

I just need a new clutch return spring. Maybe you have the same issue? It never hurts to eliminate the easy stuff first.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

eidolon
420 crawler
420 crawler

350B reverser problem

Post by eidolon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:49 am

I have checked the clutch linkage and it seems to be returning to engagement position just fine. Return spring is strong. Since this problem started rather suddenly, I doubt there is a problem with the clutches, pump or relief adjustments. I am wondering if a piece of dirt could have got lodged in one of the control or relief orifices? As I previously said, the filter looked really old and was starting to come apart. Any ideas on how to clean the system? Maybe I have to remove the control module and flush it out? I did replace all the fluid in the reverser when I removed the filter and scooped out the oil reservoir.
JD 350B, IH 500E

eidolon
420 crawler
420 crawler

New data

Post by eidolon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:12 pm

Now that I have more experience with the machine, I am getting more familiar with its quirks. The problem with the reverser seems to appear after a hard workout. Pushing a load uphill, or digging out a stump gets her tired and she doesn't want to push anymore. What think you? Obviously, I am heating up the reverser fluid with heavy work. A weak/worn pump? Need better quality or heavier fluid? Advice appreciated. Thanks.
JD 350B, IH 500E

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 pm

What kind of fluid are you using? The spec calls for JD Hygard, 303 or JD20A. Probably unlikely that this is your problem but I filled my straight 350 reverser with non spec hydraulic/drivetrain oil once and it was not very happy, jerky and rough shifting.